Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Raw Cookie Dough
Posted May 23, 2023
- Illnesses: 18
- Hospitalizations: 2
- Deaths: 0
- States: 6
- Recall: No
- Investigation status: Active
Papa Murphy’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
Papa Murphy’s S'mores Bars Dough
Papa Murphy’s raw cookie dough:
- Chocolate chip cookie dough
- S’mores bars dough
Nine sick people reported eating raw cookie dough from Papa Murphy’s Take ‘N’ Bake Pizza in the week before they got sick. Based on this information, Papa Murphy’s has temporarily stopped selling their raw chocolate chip cookie dough and raw S’mores bars dough.
At least two sick people did not eat at Papa Murphy’s. Investigators are working to identify the contaminated ingredient in the raw cookie dough.
- Check your refrigerator and freezer for Papa Murphy’s chocolate chip cookie dough or S’mores bars dough.
- Throw the dough away, even if you didn’t get sick after eating some of it.
- Wash items and surfaces that may have touched the dough using hot soapy water or a dishwasher.
- Always follow cookie dough baking instructions in the recipe or on the package label.
- Papa Murphy’s chocolate chip cookie dough and S’mores bars dough are not meant to be eaten raw.
- Most raw cookie dough is made with unpasteurized eggs or raw flour and can have germs like Salmonella and E. coli.
- Some other companies make edible cookie dough that does not have to be baked. These products are made with heat-treated flour and pasteurized eggs or no eggs. Read the label carefully to make sure the dough is meant to be eaten without baking or cooking.
- Call a healthcare provider if you have any of these severe Salmonella symptoms:
- Diarrhea and a fever higher than 102°F
- Diarrhea for more than 3 days that is not improving
- Bloody diarrhea
- So much vomiting that you cannot keep liquids down
- Signs of dehydration, such as:
- Not peeing much
- Dry mouth and throat
- Feeling dizzy when standing up
- Most people infected with Salmonella experience diarrhea, fever, and stomach cramps.
- Symptoms usually start 6 hours to 6 days after swallowing the bacteria.
- Most people recover without treatment after 4 to 7 days.
- Some people—especially children younger than 5 years, adults 65 years and older, and people with weakened immune systems—may experience more severe illnesses that require medical treatment or hospitalization.
- For more information about Salmonella, see the Salmonella Questions and Answers page.
- FDA: Outbreak Investigation of Salmonella – Raw Cookie Dough
- Papa Murphy’s Important Product Information
- Washington State Department of Health: Salmonella Outbreak Likely Linked to Eating Raw Cookie Dough
- Oregon Health Authority: OHA Investigating Salmonella Cases Linked to Papa Murphy’s Cookie Dough (English and Spanish)
- Say No to Raw Dough