Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Raw Cookie Dough
Posted July 13, 2023
This outbreak is over. But any raw cookie dough made with unpasteurized eggs or raw flour can have germs like Salmonella and E. coli. Always follow cookie dough baking instructions in the recipe or on the package label.
- Illnesses: 26
- Hospitalizations: 4
- Deaths: 0
- States: 6
- Recall: No
- Investigation status: Closed
Papa Murphy’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
Papa Murphy’s S'mores Bars Dough
Data showed that Papa Murphy’s raw cookie dough made people in this outbreak sick.
- Fifteen sick people reported eating raw cookie dough from Papa Murphy’s Take ‘N’ Bake Pizza in the week before they got sick.
- On May 23, Papa Murphy’s temporarily stopped selling their raw chocolate chip cookie dough and raw S’mores bars dough in response to this outbreak.
Always follow cookie dough baking instructions in the recipe or on the package label.
- Most raw cookie dough, including Papa Murphy’s raw cookie dough, is not meant to be eaten raw. Most raw cookie dough is made with unpasteurized eggs or raw flour and can have germs like Salmonella and E. coli.
- Some other companies make edible cookie dough that does not have to be baked. These products are made with heat-treated flour and made without eggs or with pasteurized eggs. Read the label carefully to make sure the dough is meant to be eaten without baking or cooking.
- FDA: Outbreak Investigation of Salmonella – Raw Cookie Dough
- Papa Murphy’s Important Product Information
- Washington State Department of Health: Salmonella Outbreak Likely Linked to Eating Raw Cookie Dough
- Oregon Health Authority: OHA Investigating Salmonella Cases Linked to Papa Murphy’s Cookie Dough (English and Spanish)
- Say No to Raw Dough