Advice to Consumers, Restaurants, and Retailers
CDC recommends that consumers not eat, restaurants not serve, and retailers not sell Maradol papayas from the El Zapotanito farm in Mexico.
- If you aren’t sure if the papaya you bought is a Maradol papaya from the El Zapotanito farm, ask the place of purchase. Restaurants and retailers can ask their suppliers.
- Maradol papayas have a green skin that turns yellow as the fruit ripens.
- When in doubt, don’t eat, sell, or serve them; just throw them out.
- Wash and sanitize countertops as well as drawers or shelves in refrigerators where papayas were stored.
- Page last reviewed: September 14, 2017
- Page last updated: September 14, 2017
- Content source: