Signs & Symptoms
This outbreak investigation is over. People should be aware that kratom could be contaminated with Salmonella and could make people sick. Contaminated products may still be available for purchase because the investigation was not able to identify a single, common source of contaminated kratom. Illnesses could continue to occur if people consume contaminated kratom. Read more on the Recalls and Advice to Consumers webpage.
What are the signs and symptoms of Salmonella infection?
Most people infected with Salmonella develop the following signs and symptoms 12-72 hours after being exposed to the bacteria:
- Abdominal cramps
How long does the illness last?
- The illness usually lasts 4 to 7 days, and most people recover without treatment.
- In some people, the diarrhea may be so severe that the patient needs to be hospitalized. Salmonella infection may spread from the intestines to the bloodstream and then to other places in the body.
- In rare cases, Salmonella infection can cause death unless the person is treated promptly with antibiotics.
Who is more likely to have a severe illness?
- Children younger than 5 years
- Adults older than 65
- People with weakened immune systems
More information about Salmonella and steps people can take to reduce their risk of infection with Salmonella in general can be found on the CDCSalmonella website.