Signs & Symptoms
Salmonella Infections Linked to Small Turtles
Posted May 18, 2016 10:00AM ET
What are the signs and symptoms?
Most people infected with Salmonella develop the following signs and symptoms 12-72 hours after being exposed to the bacteria:
- Abdominal cramps
How long does the illness last?
- The illness usually lasts 4 to 7 days, and most people recover without treatment.
- In some people, the diarrhea may be so severe that the patient needs to be hospitalized. Salmonella infection may spread from the intestines to the bloodstream and then to other places in the body.
- In rare cases, Salmonella infection can cause death unless the person is treated promptly with antibiotics.
Who is more likely to have a severe illness?
- Children younger than 5 years
- Adults older than 65 years
- People with weakened immune systems
More information about Salmonella and steps people can take to reduce their risk of infection with Salmonella in general can be found on the CDC Salmonella website.