Signs & Symptoms
This outbreak investigation is over. However, recalledExternal Kellogg’s Honey Smacks cereal has a long shelf life and might still be in people’s homes. Consumers unaware of the recall could continue to eat these products and potentially get sick. Read the Recall and Advice to Consumers and Retailers.
What are the signs and symptoms of Salmonella infection?
Most people infected with Salmonella develop the following signs and symptoms 12 to 72 hours after being exposed to the bacteria:
- Abdominal cramps
How long does the illness last?
- The illness usually lasts 4 to 7 days, and most people recover without treatment.
- In some people, the diarrhea may be so severe that the patient needs to be hospitalized. Salmonella infection may spread from the intestines to the bloodstream and then to other places in the body.
- In rare cases, Salmonella infection can cause death unless the person is treated promptly with antibiotics.
Who is more likely to have a severe illness?
- Children younger than 5 years of age
- Adults older than 65 years of age
- People with weakened immune systems
More information about Salmonella and steps people can take to reduce their risk of infection with Salmonella in general can be found on the CDCSalmonella website.