Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Frozen Cooked Shrimp
- Illnesses: 9
- Hospitalizations: 3
- Deaths: 0
- States: 4
- Recall: Yes
- Investigation status: Closed
Frozen cooked shrimp supplied by Avanti Frozen Foods
- Sold under multiple brand names including 365, Ahold, Big River, Censea, Chicken of the Sea, CWNO, First Street, Food Lion, Hannaford, Harbor Banks, Honest Catch, HOS, Meijer, Nature’s Promise, Open Acres, Sandbar, Sea Cove, Waterfront Bistro, Wellsley Farms, and WFNO Brands
- See the initial recall notice external iconand the expanded recall noticeexternal icon for packaging sizes, descriptions, and product codes
These products were recalled in June and August 2021. They should no longer be available for sale. However, they can be kept frozen for a long time and may still be in your freezer.
Check your freezer for recalled products. If you have any left:
- Do not eat them. Throw them away or return them to where you bought them.
- Wash items and surfaces that may have touched the recalled products using hot soapy water or a dishwasher.
Always follow these four food safety steps to prevent getting sick from Salmonella:
- Clean: Wash your hands, utensils, and surfaces often.
- Separate: Keep food that won’t be cooked separate from raw meat, poultry, and seafood.
- Cook: Use a food thermometer to make sure you have cooked your food to a temperature high enough to kill germsexternal icon.
- Chill: Refrigerate perishable food (food that goes bad) within 2 hours. If the outside temperature is hotter than 90°F, refrigerate within 1 hour. Thaw food in the refrigerator, not on the counter.