Collecting & Analyzing Data on an Android Device
- Companion for Android Introduction
- Initial Set Up
- Designing Forms for Mobile
- Copy Form to Mobile Device
- Collect Data on Mobile Device
- Preload Data on Mobile Device
- Transfer Data From Mobile Device
- Configuring Cloud Synchronization
- Share Spreadsheets Between Mobile Devices
- StatCalc Epidemiologic Calculators
- Analyze Data
- Chapter 6: Companion for Android – Full Chapter
Share Spreadsheets between Mobile Devices
A convenient way to view data on your mobile device is to use View Line List as described below. When you run this process, the Epi Info™ Mobile Companion for Android creates a comma separated value (CSV) file behind the scenes and opens it in your device’s default spreadsheet app such as Sheets. You can send this CSV file to other colleagues by email or messaging apps such as WhatsApp®*.
Note: This method of sharing data is not as secure as creating a sync file because this method does not encrypt the data.
1. Open the Epi Info™ 7 Mobile Companion for Android app.
2. Touch “Analyze Data”.
3. Select the Epi Info™ form that has the data for sharing. After a brief period while the data are loading, you are ready for the next step.
4. Touch the Options Menu, then touch View Line List. This creates the CSV file and saves it to the Temp folder with a timestamp in the filename.
5. Open “My Files” > Internal Storage > Download > EpiInfo > Temp. Recent line list files will be shown. The filename ends with a timestamp before the “.csv” extension.
6. Touch the file you want to share. Then touch the share icon button at the top and select your preferred sharing method.
Note: This is not recommended for preloading data as some field types, such as options and comment legal fields, are displayed as their text equivalent rather than as the codes needed in Epi Info™ 7 projects. Preload data files should be created only from the Epi Info™ desktop tool using Classic Analysis. If you need to send data to another mobile device for data entry, we recommend you use a sync file as described in the section Transfer Data from Mobile Device to Desktop.
*WhatsApp® is a registered trademark of Facebook, Inc.