Patient Safety Analysis Quick Reference Guides
These quick reference guides were created to help you understand, modify, and interpret your data using the NHSN application’s various analysis output (report) options for the NHSN Patient Safety Component. These guides serve as companions to the “Introduction to NHSN Analysis” training slideset.
New! NHSN’s Guide to the SIR (updated January 2017) [PDF – 1M]
A comprehensive guide to NHSN’s SIR, including risk factors used in the SIR calculations under the 2015 baseline.
Analysis Quick Reference Guides
SIRs under the 2015 Baseline (Baseline Set 2)
- New! SSI Exclusion Criteria for SIR January 2016 [Video – 7 min]
- Troubleshooting CLABSI and CAUTI SIR [PDF – 123K]
- Troubleshooting MRSA and CDI LabID Event SIR [PDF – 218K]
SIRs under the Original Baseline (Baseline Set 1)
Frequently Requested Output/Reports
- How to obtain rates/standardized infection ratios (SIRs) for a fiscal year or cumulative time period [PDF – 111K]
- How to obtain a line list of procedures [PDF – 127K]
- How to obtain an event line list that includes pathogen information [PDF – 148K]
- How to obtain a line list of summary data [PDF – 289K]
- How to View, Create, and Modify Dates Within NHSN [PDF – 342K]
Targeted Assessment Prevention (TAP) Strategy Reports
Targeted Assessment for Prevention (TAP) Reports
Description: Each of these guides will describe and provide an example of how to create, modify, and interpret the data displayed in a facility level TAP Report:
- TAP Reports For a Facility – CAUTI [PDF – 236K]
- TAP Reports For a Facility – CLABSI [PDF – 241K]
- TAP Reports For a Facility – CDI [PDF – 206K]
Description: Each of these guides will describe and provide an example of how to create, modify, and interpret the data displayed in a group level TAP Report:
Antimicrobial Use Option Output Types
Output/Report Option Types
Each of these guides will describe and provide an example of how to create, modify, and interpret the data displayed in the output/report.
- Line List [PDF – 169K]
- Line List – Custom Field Variable Names [PDF – 476K]
- Frequency Table [PDF – 188K]
- Bar Chart [PDF – 160K]
- Pie Chart [PDF – 161K]
- Rate Table [PDF – 187K]
- Run Chart [PDF – 182K]
- SIR Table: Device-associated [PDF – 136K]
- SIR Table: Surgical Site Infections [PDF – 213K]
- SIR Table: MRSA/CDI LabID Events [PDF – 298K]
Tips for Customizing Your Output/Reports
Filter Output by Time Period [PDF – 143K]
Explains how to filter any output option by a specific time period and includes a description for each of the date variable formats.
Filter Output by Additional Criteria [PDF – 175K]
Explains how to filter any output by additional variables and criteria.
Save Custom Output Options for Future Use [PDF – 152K]
Explains how to save modifications as a custom output option.
Share Custom Output Options with Coworkers [PDF – 108K]
Explains how to publish custom output modifications to be used by other users in your facility.
Export Data from NHSN [PDF – 177K]
Explains how to export your surveillance data and calculated rates and SIRs from NHSN into another compatible format.
Run Multiple Output Options [PDF – 270K]
Explains how to run different output options at the same time, also referred to as an “Output Set”.
Custom Fields [PDF – 161K]
Explains how to run analyses to include facility-defined custom variables (custom fields).
Using the Statistics Calculator [PDF – 316K]
Explains and provides examples on how to run statistical analyses on one or more measures using NHSN’s statistics calculator.
Detailed Guides for Specific Analysis Options
- How to Determine Procedures Excluded from the SSI SIR: Universal Exclusion Criteria February 2017 [PDF – 366K]
- How to Determine Events Included in the SSI SIR – SSI Event Indicators February 2017 [PDF – 374K]
- Analyzing Procedure Closure Technique March 2014 [PDF – 121K]
- Analyzing MBI-LCBI CLABSI Data [PDF – 106K]
- Using the “SIR-CAUTI Data for CMS IPPS” Output Option January 2017 [PDF – 210K]
- Using the “SIR – CLABSI Data for CMS IPPS” Output Option. January 2017 [PDF – 211K]
- Using the “SIR – MRSA Blood FacwideIn LabID Data for CMS IPPS” Output Option January 2017 [PDF – 150K]
- Using the “SIR – FacWideIn CDI LabID Data for CMS IPPS” Output Option January 2017 [PDF – 202K]
- Using the “SIR- Complex 30-Day SSI Data for CMS IPPS” Output Option January 2017 [PDF – 350K]
- October 2010: Special Edition [PDF – 557K]
- NHSN Data Quality Output Options [PDF – 1M]
- Analyzing HAI Data over a Time Period with Different Definitions [PDF – 146K]
HAI Antimicrobial Resistance Output
- Page last reviewed: February 27, 2015
- Page last updated: March 28, 2017
- Content source: