What is SAMS?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Secure Access Management Services (SAMS) is a federal information technology (IT) system that gives authorized personnel secure access to non-public CDC applications. The SAMS partner portal is a website designed to provide centralized access to public health information and computer applications operated by the CDC. For the National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Program, SAMS will provide healthcare facilities and other partners, such as state health departments and QIOs, with secure and immediate access to the NHSN application.
If you are new to NHSN and need to enroll your facility
Read and agree to the NHSN Rules of Behavior. You will then be redirected to electronically register your facility with NHSN. After you accept the NHSN Rules of Behavior, you will receive an invitation to SAMS from “SAMS No-Reply (CDC)”. This is a valid and official email from CDC.
If you need access to a facility already enrolled in NHSN
Contact the current facility administrator or an active user with administrative rights within the facility and request to be added as a new user.
Step 1: Receive an invitation to register for SAMS
- Log in to the SAMS application using assigned username (i.e., your current email address) and temporary password from the invite email
- Accept the SAMS Rules of Behavior
- Complete the SAMS Registration Form
Step 2: Complete and Submit identity verification documents to CDC
Receive SAMS registration confirmation email
- Option 1 – Experian: Using a secure interface, you will provide Experian your Social Security Number (SSN) and Date of Birth (DOB). This information is sent directly to Experian and is NOT stored or saved by SAMS/CDC. Experian will attempt to validate your information and may ask you a series of questions based on your credit history. There is no impact on your credit score or credit worthiness. This is the fastest and most secure method to complete the SAMS identity proofing process.
- Option 2 – Document Review: You will be required to complete a form included at the bottom of the identity verification instructions email. This form, along with appropriate identification, will need to be reviewed by a notary or other trusted third party and copies submitted to SAMS via secure upload or by mail. Once received by SAMS, it will be reviewed and validated. This process can take several weeks to complete depending on volume and how the documentation is sent to SAMS.
Step 3: Access NHSN using SAMS credentials
SAMS supports two type of tokens:
- a soft token that requires the installation of an Entrust Authenticator application on your phone, tablet, or computer
- a hard token which is a physical Entrust grid card mailed to your home address.
SAMS will email you instructions explaining how to setup your second factor credential after account activation.
NOTE: You can manage the initial setup using the ‘Mobile Soft Token & Grid Card’ option on the SAMS Portal.