Coronavirus Disease – 2019 (COVID-19) Reports
Hospital COVID-19 Data Reports: these reports are either based on data collected from NHSN’s Hospital COVID-19 Module between April – July 2020, or provide an assessment of the impact of COVID-19 on HAIs and/or other patient safety topics.
Long-term Care Facility COVID-19 Data Reports are based on data collected from NHSN’s LTCF COVID-19 Module.
Hospital COVID-19 Data
- COVID-19 Impact on HAIs in 2020 and 2021 [Web Page]
- Continued Increases in HAI Incidence During the Second Year of the COVID-19 Pandemic
Presents a comparison between 2019 and 2021 national standardized infection ratios (SIRs) for CLABSI, CAUTI, VAE, SSI, MRSA bacteremia LabID, and CDI LabID from acute care hospitals. For most HAIs, national SIRs in 2021 remain significantly higher than SIRs from the pre-pandemic time period. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2022.
- Impact of COVID-19 on HAIs in 2020: A summary of data reported to NHSN Presents a comparison between 2019 and 2020 national and state quarterly standardized infection ratios (SIRs) for CLABSI, CAUTI, VAE, SSI, MRSA bacteremia LabID, and CDI LabID from acute care hospitals. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2021.
- Supplemental Data:
- Figure 1: Changes in the 2020 national HAI SIRs compared to 2019 [PDF – 300 KB]
- Changes in the national device-associated HAI SIRs, by location type, 2020 vs. 2019 [XLS – 34 KB]
- Quarterly SIR comparisons for each HAI type, by state, 2020 vs. 2019 [XLS – 228 KB]
- U.S. Maps: The Impact of COVID-19 on HAI Incidence, by State [PDF – 400 KB]
- Pathogens attributed to CLABSIs during the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic
Compares CLABSI pathogen distributions and select antimicrobial resistance between 2019 and 2020 from acute care hospitals. Also provides a summary of common CLABSI pathogens among COVID-19 ICU patients. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2022.
- Hospital capacities and shortages of healthcare resources among US hospitals during the COVID-19 pandemic, March – July 2020
Summarizes hospital capacities and shortages of healthcare personnel and supply among US hospitals during the early phase of the COVID-19 pandemic. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2021.
- Changes in the number of ICU beds in US hospitals during the early months of the COVID-19 pandemic
Summarizes the impact of COVID-19 on ICU capacities in the US by comparing the number of ICU beds reported to NHSN daily, between April – July 2020, to the ICU bed sizes reported on the 2019 NHSN annual surveys. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2021; 1-12.
- Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on CLABSIs during the early months of 2020, NHSN
Details a descriptive analysis of central-line–associated bloodstream infections (CLABSIs) in acute-care hospitals to determine potential impact of COVID-19 on standardized infection ratio (SIR). Data reported to NHSN in Q2 2020 was compared to Q2 2019. Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology, 2021; 1-4.
- Impact of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) on US Hospitals and Patients, April–July 2020
Describes development of time series estimates from data reported to NHSN from April 1 – July 14, 2020 to allow near–real-time daily national and state indicators of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2021; 1-8.
Long-term Care Facility COVID-19 Data
- Effectiveness of a COVID-19 Additional Primary or Booster Vaccine Dose in Preventing SARS-CoV-2 Infection Among Nursing Home Residents During Widespread Circulation of the Omicron Variant – February 14 – March 27, 2022 [PDF – 180 KB]
Analysis of COVID-19 surveillance and vaccination data from approximately 15,000 skilled nursing facilities found that, compared with primary series vaccination only, an additional or booster dose provided greater protection against SARS-CoV-2 infection during Omicron variant predominance. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2022.
- Nursing Home COVID-19 Data Dashboard
- Rates of COVID-19 Among Residents and Staff Members in Nursing Homes – May 25 – November 22, 2020.
- Early COVID-19 First-Dose Vaccination Coverage Among Residents and Staff Members of Skilled Nursing Facilities Participating in the Pharmacy Partnership for Long-Term Care Program – December 2020 – January 2021.
- Ecological Analysis of the Decline in Incidence Rates of COVID-19 among Nursing Home Residents Associated with Vaccination – December 2020 – January 2021.