Dialysis COVID-19 Module
CDC’s NHSN provides healthcare facilities, with a customized system to track infections and prevention process measures in a systematic way. Tracking this information allows facilities to identify problems, improve care, and determine progress toward national healthcare-associated infection goals.
The NHSN Outpatient Dialysis Component is supporting the nation’s COVID-19 emergency response with a COVID-19 module designed to collect data pertaining to in-center dialysis, home dialysis, and peritoneal dialysis patients.
The COVID-19 Module has a single data entry page with four sections:
- Patient Impact
- Staff and Personnel Impact
- Supply and Personal Protective Equipment
Facility-level summary data collected through the NHSN Outpatient Dialysis COVID-19 Module are being made available to a broader set of Federal, state, and local agency data users than data typically collected by NHSN. Specifically, COVID-19 data at the state, county, territory, and facility level submitted to NHSN will continue to be used for public health emergency response activities by CDC’s emergency COVID-19 response, by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ (HHS’) COVID-19 tracking system maintained in the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Preparedness and Response as part of the National Response Coordination Center at the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), and by the White House Coronavirus Task Force.
Data submission options include manual entry and/or CSV file submitted by individual facilities or bulk CSV file upload for multiple facilities.
Please review the below sections for access to important information, updates, upcoming and archived training resources, and more.
- Dialysis COVID-19 Module Enrollment Guidance – October 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB]
The above guidance is specific to Home Dialysis Facilities enrolling for COVID-19 reporting only.
- For other enrollment guidance please use the below resources:
- NHSN Dialysis COVID-19 Module Overview – November, 2020
- New! NHSN Dialysis COVID-19 Data Entry Review pdf icon[PDF – 5 MB] – January 2021
- How to Edit an Email Address in SAMS and the NHSN Facility pdf icon[PDF – 500 KB]
- How to Add a User in NHSN pdf icon[PDF – 600 KB]
- How to Re-assign NHSN Facility Administrator pdf icon[PDF – 350 KB]
- Adding the Dialysis Component to a Previously Enrolled Facility pdf icon[PDF – 200 MB]
- How to Join a Group and Accept the Confer Rights Template pdf icon[PDF – 400 MB]
- COVID-19 Dialysis Module Reporting Guidance pdf icon[PDF – 300 KB]
- Facility Level CSV Files
Get the latest information from the CDC about COVID-19
FAQs about the Dialysis COVID-19 Modulepdf icon[PDF - 237 KB]
alert iconFacilities looking to upload their data by working directly with a vendor will need to work with the vendor directly to provide their OrgID and establish the process.
Vendors (e.g., EHR providers, EOC providers, etc.) intending to provide COVID-19 CSV uploads on behalf of NHSN facilities please submit an inquiry to NHSN@cdc.gov with the title “Vendor Support for NHSN COVID-19 Facility Reporting.”
NHSN will follow up to confirm procedural details as the process may differ by vendor.