Patient Safety Analysis Resources
The NHSN application provides various options that allow NHSN users to analyze their surveillance data. The resources listed below are intended to help you use the analysis tool, and interpret data analyzed from the Patient Safety Component of NHSN.
Guides and Training
- Analysis Quick Reference Guides
- Data Entry and Analysis Training
- New! Introduction to the NHSN Re-baseline – March 2017
- New! The NHSN Re-Baseline: In Depth – March 2017
- New! Introduction to NHSN Analysis – March 2017
- New! TAP Reports: Targeted Assessment for Prevention Using Data for Action – March 2017
- New! NHSN Analysis: Focus on Device-associated Data SIR for CLABSI, CAUTI, and VAE – March 2017
- New! Advanced Analysis: Focus on SSI – March 2017
- New! Analyzing MRSA Bacteremia and CDI LabID Event Data – March 2017
- New! NHSN Basic Statistics Quick Learn [Video – 11 min]
- New! NHSN Analysis: A Focus on CMS Reports [Video – 16 min]
- Updating the national risk-adjustment of HAI Data – March 2016 [Video – 59 min]
NHSN Codes and Variables
2017 Operative Procedure Code Documents
The documents listed below should be used for procedures performed in 2017.
- Update! ICD-10-PCS Procedure Code Mapping to NHSN Operative Procedure Codes [XLSX – 611K]
- Update! Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) Procedure Code Mapping to NHSN Operative Procedure Codes [XLSX – 313K]
Update! ICD-10-PCS & CPT Codes – Guidance for HPRO & KPRO Procedure Details [XLSX – 46K]
This guidance document may be used for completing the NHSN procedure details for HPRO – hip arthroplasty and/or KPRO – Knee arthroplasty operative procedures.
FUSN ICD-10-PCS Codes – Guidance for Spinal Level and Approach. [XLSX – 30K]
This supplemental guidance may be used to complete the spinal level and approach fields in the Operative Procedure Details section for FUSN procedures.
ICD-10 CM Diabetes Diagnostic Codes [XLSX – 15K]
ICD-10-CM codes included in this spreadsheet are acceptable for use to answer “YES” to “Diabetes Mellitus” for completing the NHSN Operative Procedure Details.
ICD-10-CM/PCS Codes for ‘prior infection at hip or knee joint’ denominator form question [XLSX – 20K]
Use ICD-10-PCS/CM diagnosis or procedure codes included in this spreadsheet to determine if patient meets criteria for ‘prior infection at index joint’.
- Document detailing changes made to the 2016 operative procedure codes
Update! Summary of 2016 Code Changes [XLSX – 343K]
This document identifies changes made to the codes 2016 operative procedure codes. It should not be used for identifying NHSN operative procedures or SSI events.
- Update! Summary of 2016 Code Changes [XLSX – 343K]
SAS Macro to Compare the SIR to 1 or Other Nominal Value. September 2015 [SAS – 5K]
This macro can be used to compare the SIR to a single nominal value, consistent with the methods used by NHSN.
SAS Macro to Compare 2 SIRs February 2014 [SAS – 5K]
This macro can be used to perform a comparison between two SIRs, consistent with the methods used by NHSN.
SAS Macro to Compare 2 Incidence Density Rates February 2014 [SAS – 4K]
This macro can be used to perform a comparison between two incidence density rates (e.g., CAUTI rates), consistent with the methods used by NHSN.
SAS Macro to Compare 2 Proportions February 2014 [SAS – 6K]
This macro can be used to perform a comparison between two proportions (e.g., catheter device utilization ratios), consistent with the methods used by NHSN.
SAS Macro for a Single Incidence Density Rate February 2014 [SAS – 3K]
This macro can be used to perform confidence interval testing around a single incidence density rate (e.g., CLABSI rate), consistent with methods used by NHSN.
SAS Macro for a Single Proportion June 2015 [SAS – 3K]
This macro can be used to perform confidence interval testing around a single proportion (e.g., healthcare worker flu vaccination percentages). This macro can also be used to compare a single proportion to a benchmark value, consistent with methods used by NHSN.
- Annual Reports
- National and State HAI SIR Reports
- CDC Vital Signs: Making Healthcare Safer
- CDC Vital Signs: Protecting Patients from Antibiotic Resistance
SIRs on the 2015 Baseline
- List of Aggregate Data Sources for Rate Comparisons and SIRs. January 2017 [PDF – 124K]
- NHSN’s Guide to the SIR (updated January 2017) [PDF – 1M]
SIRs on the Original Baseline
Risk Adjustment for Healthcare Facility-Onset C. difficile and MRSA Bacteremia Laboratory-identified Event Reporting in NHSN March 2013 [PDF – 406K]
This report describes the risk modeling that CDC applied to LabID event CDI and MRSA bacteremia data submitted to NHSN, the results of which have been incorporated into the analysis options in the NHSN application.
New! NHSN’s Guide to the SIR (updated June 2017) [PDF – 1M]
A comprehensive guide to NHSN’s SIR, including risk factors used in the SIR calculations under the 2015 baseline.
Data Analysis and Presentation Standardization Toolkit
The Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists (CSTE) and CDC have partnered to create a toolkit of best practices in the analysis and display of HAI data for public reports. This toolkit provides guidance and recommended methods for organizations that publish facility-specific HAI data, and includes examples for both a technical and consumer-friendly HAI report.
- Page last reviewed: April 5, 2017
- Page last updated: July 14, 2017
- Content source: