National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN)
CDC’s National Healthcare Safety Network is the nation’s most widely used healthcare-associated infection tracking system. NHSN provides facilities, states, regions, and the nation with data needed to identify problem areas, measure progress of prevention efforts, and ultimately eliminate healthcare-associated infections.
In addition, NHSN allows healthcare facilities to track blood safety errors and important healthcare process measures such as healthcare personnel influenza vaccine status and infection control adherence rates.
COVID-19 reporting and vaccination resources
Healthcare Personnel and Resident Weekly Reporting
New measure and dashboard available now
CDC and CMS Issue Joint Reminder on NHSN Reporting
New Data Tools
Some progress, but more work is needed
- 2022 Patient Safety Component Manual [PDF – 8 MB]
- 2021 Patient Safety Component Manual [PDF – 8 MB]
- 2020 Long-term Care Facility Manual [PDF – 3 MB]
- 2022 Outpatient Procedure Component Manual [PDF – 1 MB]
- 2021 Outpatient Procedure Component Manual [PDF – 2 MB]
- 2020 Healthcare Personnel Safety Component Manual [PDF – 1 MB]
- 2021 Biovigilance Component Protocol [PDF – 600 KB]