LTCF COVID-19 Module
NHSN has received an unprecedented number of inquiries since the release of the new COVID-19 Module and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid’s (CMS’) new requirements for nursing home reporting.
We are making every effort to respond to every question in the shortest timeframe possible, but given the surge in volume, we strongly recommend reviewing the webpage materials here before sending questions to the NHSN helpdesk.
CDC’s NHSN provides healthcare facilities, such as long term care facilities (LTCF) with a customized system to track infections and prevention process measures in a systematic way.
Tracking this information allows facilities to identify problems, improve care, and determine progress toward facility and national healthcare-associated infection goals.
The NHSN Long-term Care Facility Component is supporting the nation’s COVID-19 response by introducing a new COVID-19 Module for Long Term Care Facilities. Facilities eligible to report into the COVID-19 Module include nursing homes/skilled nursing, long-term care for the developmentally disabled, and assisted living facilities.
The COVID-19 Module for LTCFs consists of four pathways within NHSN’s Long-term Care Facility Component:
- Resident Impact and Facility Capacity
- Staff and Personnel Impact
- Supplies and Personal Protective Equipment
- Ventilator Capacity and Supplies
The Module enables an assessment of the impact of COVID-19 in LTCFs through facility reported information, including: 1) counts of residents and facility personnel with suspected and laboratory positive COVID-19; 2) counts of suspected and laboratory positive COVID-19 related deaths among residents and facility personnel; 3) staffing shortages; 3) status of personal protective equipment (PPE) supplies; and 4) ventilator capacity and supplies for facilities with ventilator dependent units. The Module does not collect staff or resident-level information.
Participation in the COVID-19 Module for LTCFs requires facilities to be actively enrolled in NHSN. LTCFs that are currently enrolled in NHSN’s LTCF Component have immediate access to the new module and may begin reporting. If your facility previously enrolled, but is no longer able to gain access, contact NHSN user support at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. Please do not re-enroll a previously enrolled facility.
LTCFs that are not enrolled in NHSN may gain access to the COVID-19 Module by completing the enrollment process outlined in the Enrollment section of this page. Upon completion, the facility will gain same-day access to NHSN.
While daily reporting will provide the timeliest data for response purposes, retrospective reporting of prior day(s) is encouraged if daily reporting is not feasible. LTCF data submission options include manual entry, CSV file submitted by individual facilities or bulk CSV file upload for multiple facilities. NHSN, in turn, will enable state and local health departments and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to gain immediate access to the COVID-19 data for LTCFs in their jurisdictions. COVID-19 data submitted to NHSN also will be used by CDC’s emergency COVID-19 response and by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ (HHS’) COVID-19 tracking system maintained in the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Preparedness and Response.
NHSN LTCF staff will conduct various virtual trainings and office hour sessions to assist LTCFs with enrollment and data submission. Please see the training schedule for upcoming trainings.
- LTCF’s submitting COVID-19 data only should follow the enrollment steps below:
Enrollment steps for LTCFs submitting data in COVID-19 Module
- Facility Enrollment Guidance pdf icon[PDF – 850 KB]
- New! LTCF COVID-19 Module Enrollment Refresher – May 2020
- COVID-19 Module Overview for LTCFs – May 2020
- COVID-19 Module Enrollment Guidance for LTCFs – May 2020
- New! Group Guide to Using LTCF COVID-19 Module – June 2020
- New! COVID-19 Data Quality Webinar – June 2020
New! National CMS/CDC Nursing Home COVID-19 Training
Through the Quality Improvement Organization (QIO) Program, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) hosts a weekly webinar series (every Thursday, 4-5 pm ET) to provide training for infection control processes in nursing homes. To review a list of archived trainings and recordings, as well as view and register for upcoming trainings, please visit https://qioprogram.org/nursing-home-trainingsexternal icon.
- Upcoming!! NHSN COVID-19 Module Training: Thursday, August 6 4:00 pm ET- 5:00 pm ET: COVID-19 Surveillance to Enable Early Detection and Response to Outbreaks: National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Mandatory Data Collection.
Register for the training and upcoming trainingsexternal icon.
Topic: LTC COVID-19 Data Quality Webinar – Update
When: Wednesday, August 12, 2020
Time: 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM ET
Space is limited. Register in advance for this webinar:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Resident Impact and Facility Capacity
- COVID-19 Resident Impact and Facility Capacity Pathway Form (57.144) pdf icon[PDF – 100 KB] (print-only)
Staff and Personnel Impact
- COVID-19 Staff and Personnel Impact Pathway Form (57.145) pdf icon[PDF – 120 KB] (print-only)
Supplies and Personal Protective Equipment
- COVID-19 Supplies and Personal Protective Equipment Pathway Form (57.146) pdf icon[PDF – 120 KB] (print-only)
Ventilator Capacity and Supplies
- How to Change LTC Facility Type pdf icon[PDF – 300 KB]
- Facility – How to Upload COVID-19 CSV Data Files pdf icon[PDF – 600 KB]
- Facility Level CSV File Templates
- How to ADD and EDIT Facility CMS Certification Number (CCN) within NHSN pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB]
- How to Join a Group and Accept the Confer Rights Template pdf icon[PDF – 400 KB]
- New! Guidance to COVID-19 Module Data Entry Screen pdf icon[PDF – 500 KB]
- Analysis Resources
- Health Department Guide to Using the COVID-19 Module pdf icon[PDF – 420 KB]
- Group Guide to Using the COVID-19 Module pdf icon[PDF – 450 KB]
- How to Set Up Groups pdf icon[PDF – 850 KB]
- Groups and Supergroups – Viewing and Uploading COVID-19 CSV Data Files pdf icon[PDF – 850 KB]
- Group Level CSV File Templates
- Analysis Resources
Get the latest information from the CDC about COVID-19
FAQs about the COVID-19 Modulepdf icon[PDF - 424 KB]
- CMS Requirements for reporting in NHSN
- CMS COVID-19 Updates:
- New! CMS COVID-19 Reporting Requirements for Nursing Homes pdf icon[PDF – 200 KB]
- New! FAQs about COVID-19 Data Published by CMS pdf icon[PDF – 200 KB]
- CMS Announces Relief for Clinicians, Providers, Hospitals and Facilities Participating in Quality Reporting Programs in Response to COVID-19 pdf icon[PDF – 400 KB]external icon
alert iconFacilities looking to upload their data by working directly with a vendor will need to work with the vendor directly to provide their OrgID and establish the process.
Vendors (e.g., EHR providers, EOC providers, etc.) intending to provide COVID-19 CSV uploads on behalf of NHSN facilities please submit an inquiry to NHSN@cdc.gov with the title “Vendor Support for NHSN COVID-19 Facility Reporting.”
NHSN will follow up to confirm procedural details as the process may differ by vendor.