NIOSH Training for Nurses on Shift Work and Long Work Hours
- Revell VL, Eastman CI . How to trick mother nature into letting you fly around or stay up all night. J Biol Rhythms 20:353–365.
- Eastman CI . How to get a bigger dose of bright light. Sleep 34:559–560.
- Dewan K, Benloucif S, Reid K, Wolfe LF, Zee PC . Light-induced changes of the circadian clock of humans: increasing duration is more effective than increasing light intensity. Sleep 34:593–599.
- Hofer-Tinguely G, Achermann P, Landolt HP, Regel SJ, Rétey JV, Dürr R, Borbély AA, Gottselig JM . Sleep inertia: performance changes after sleep, rest and active waking. Brain Res Cogn Brain Res 22:323–331.
- Anderson C, Horne JA . A high sugar content, low caffeine drink does not alleviate sleepiness but may worsen it. Human Psychopharmacol 21:299–303.
- Burdakov D, Jensen LT, Alexopoulos H, Williams RH, Fearon IM, O’Kelly I, Gerasimenko O, Fugger L, Verkhratsky A . Tandem-pore K+ channels mediate inhibition of orexin neurons by glucose. Neuron 50:711–722.
- Lowden A, Holmback U, Åkerstedt T, Forslund J, Lennernäs M, Forslund A . Performance and sleepiness during a 24 h wake in constant conditions are affected by diet. Biol Psychol 65:251–263.
- Cajochen C . Alerting effects of light. Sleep Med Rev 11:453–464.
- Ohayon MM, Carskadon MA, Guilleminault C, Vitiello MV . Meta-analysis of quantitative sleep parameters from childhood to old age in healthy individuals: developing normative sleep values across the human lifespan. Sleep 27(7):1255-1273.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute . Your guide to healthy sleep. DHHS (NIH) Publication No. 11-5271. Washington, DC: Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute [http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/sleep/healthy_sleep.pdfpdf iconexternal icon].
- Lu BS, Zee PC . Circadian rhythms sleep disorders. Chest 130(6):1915–1923.
Page last reviewed: March 31, 2020
Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health