NIOSH Training for Nurses on Shift Work and Long Work Hours
- Van Dongen HP, Maislin G, Mullington JM, Dinges DF . The cumulative cost of additional wakefulness: dose-response effects on neurobehavioral functions and sleep physiology from chronic sleep restriction and total sleep deprivation. Sleep 26(2):117–126.
- Duffy JF . Shift work and aging roles of sleep and circadian rhythms. Clin Occup Environ Med 3:311–332.
- Czeisler CA . Medical and genetic differences in the adverse impact of sleep loss on performance: ethical considerations for the medical profession. Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc 120:249–285.
- Barclay NL, Eley TC, Buysse DJ, Archer SN, Gregory AM . Diurnal preference and sleep quality: same genes? A study of young adult twins. Chronobiol Intl 27: 278-296.
- Koskenvuo M, Hublin C, Partinen M, Heikkila K, Kaprio J . Heritability of diurnal type: a nationwide study of 8753 adult twin pairs. J Sleep Res 16: 156-162.
- Adan A, Archer SN, Hidalgo MP, Di ML, Natale V, Randler C . Circadian typology: a comprehensive review. Chronobiol Intl 29: 1153-1175.
- Adan A, Almirall H . Horne and Ostberg Morningness Eveningness Questionnaire: a reduced scale. Personality and individual differences. 12:241–253.
- Sack RL, Auckley D, Auger RR, Carskadon MA, Wright KP Jr, Vitiello MV, Zhdanova IV, American Academy of Sleep Medicine . Circadian rhythm sleep disorders. Part I: basic principles, shift work and jet lag disorders. An American Academy of Sleep Medicine review. Sleep 30(11):1460–1483.
- Di Milia L, Adan A, Natale V, Randler C . Reviewing the psychometric properties of contemporary circadian typology measures. Chronobiol Int 30(10):1261-1271.
- Härmä M . Individual differences in tolerance to shiftwork: a review. Ergonomics 36(1–3):101–109.
- Härmä MI, Ilmarinen JE . Towards the 24-hour society: new approaches for aging shift workers? Scand J Work Environ Health 25(6):610–615.
- Sood A . Medical screening and surveillance of shift workers for health problems. Clin Occup Environ Med 3:339–349.
- Sharifian A, Firoozeh M, Pouryaghoub G, Shahryari M, Rahimi M, Hesamian M, Fardi A . Restless Legs Syndrome in shift workers: A cross sectional study on male assembly workers. J Circad Rhythms 14:7–12.
- Caruso CC, Waters TR . A review of work schedule issues and musculoskeletal disorders with an emphasis on the healthcare sector. Ind Health 46:523–534.
- Smolensky MH, Di Milia L, Ohayon MM, Philip P . Sleep disorders, medical conditions, and road accident risk. Accid Analysis Prevent 43:533–548.
- Trinkoff AM, Le R, Geiger-Brown J, Lipscomb J . Work schedule, needle use, and needlestick injuries among registered nurses. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 28(2):156–164.
- Trinkoff AM, Le R, Geiger-Brown J, Lipscomb J, Lang G . Longitudinal relationship of work hours, mandatory overtime, and on-call to musculoskeletal problems in nurses. Am J Ind Med 49(11):964–971.
- Li J, Fu H, Hu Y, Shang L, Wu Y, Kristensen TS, Mueller BH, Hasselhorn HM . Psychosocial work environment and intention to leave the nursing profession: results from the longitudinal Chinese NEXT study. Scand J Public Health 38(3 Suppl):69–80.
- Aldridge M . Unlimited liability? Emotional labour in nursing and social work. J Adv Nurs 20(4):722–728.
- Caruso CC, Hitchcock EM, Dick RB, Russo JM, Schmidt JM . Overtime and extended work shifts: recent findings on illnesses, injuries, and health behaviors. Cincinnati, OH: Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, DHHS NIOSH Publication No. 2004-143.
Page last reviewed: March 31, 2020
Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health