Key Activities and Accomplishments
Strategic Information and Laboratory Systems Support
• Development, strengthening and expansion of an HIV case reporting and surveillance system
• Implementation of sentinel surveillance surveys among pregnant women attending antenatal clinics (ANC) based on routine PMTCT program data
• Improvement of the quality of HIV rapid testing and program data collection practices in PMTCT sites for HIV surveillance needs
• Capacity building, training of staff and development of standardized procedures to support the laboratory accreditation process
• Implementation of effective laboratory quality management system (QMS), including external quality assurance (EQA) to ensure access to high quality HIV diagnostics, in particular for EID and VL testing
• Development of the first electronic HIV case reporting and surveillance system in the region
• Country transitioning to using routine PMTCT data for HIV surveillance needs
• AfriQualab – an HIV-related proficiency testing program available to Senegal and all African countries with an emphasis on francophone countries; to support laboratories involved in a quality management process: accreditation or certification.
• International accreditation of the HIV reference Laboratory through Canada’s Institute for Quality Management in Healthcare (IQMH); The HIV Reference Laboratory is the first public health laboratory in West Africa to achieve international accreditation.