TB Contact Investigation Interviewing Skills Course
The TB Contact Investigation Interviewing Skills Course is designed as an interactive, skill-building training to improve the abilities of both new and experienced staff who are responsible for conducting TB contact investigation interviews. The course provides an overview of the contact investigation process, basic communication and interviewing skills, and opportunities to apply those skills in role play activities.
The TB Contact Investigation Interviewing Skills Course was developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Division of Tuberculosis Elimination and the following TB Centers of Excellence for Training, Education, and Medical Consultation (TB COEs):
- Curry International Tuberculosis Center
- Heartland National Tuberculosis Center
- The Global TB Institute at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
- Southeastern National Tuberculosis Center
The COEs offer the TB Contact Investigation Interviewing Skills Course as part of their standard curriculum. The course is 4 days in length to ensure adequate time to practice and receive feedback on interviewing skills. If you are interested in participating in one of these trainings, please contact the COE that serves your region.
TB programs may also use the course materials (links provided below) to conduct their own trainings. Instructions on how conduct a training are provided in the Facilitator Guide. TB programs can also request technical assistance from their COE if they need assistance to conduct this course.
- Facilitator Guide pdf icon[PDF – 3M]
- Appendices for Facilitator pdf icon[PDF – 2M]
- Facilitator Agenda pdf icon[PDF – 195K]
- Binder Cover pdf icon[PDF – 534K]
- Appendices for Participants pdf icon[PDF – 1M]
- Participant Agenda pdf icon[PDF – 180K]
- Glossary pdf icon[PDF – 438K]
- Course Introduction
- Introduction to Contact Investigation Process
- Communication Skills for Building Rapport During Contact Investigation Interviewing
- Interview Question Types
- Cultural and Diversity Considerations
- Interviewing for TB Contact Investigation
- Introduction to Role Plays
- Providing Feedback