Data and Statistics
Tuberculosis (TB) is one of the world’s deadliest diseases:
- One third of the world’s population is infected with TB.
- In 2015, 10.4 million people around the world became sick with TB disease. There were 1.8 million TB-related deaths worldwide.
- TB is a leading killer of people who are HIV infected.
A total of 9,557 TB cases (a rate of 3.0 cases per 100,000 persons) were reported in the United States in 2015. The overall number of TB cases in the United States increased over the previous year in 2015 after having declined yearly during 1993–2014. Despite a slight increase in case count, the TB incidence rate per 100,000 persons has remained relatively stable at approximately 3.0 since 2013.
For local or county specific information, please contact your State TB Control Program.
Surveillance: Reported TB Cases
- Reported Tuberculosis in the United States, 2015
This report contains tabular and graphic information about reported TB cases collected from 59 reporting areas.
- Tuberculosis in the United States, 2015 (Slide Set)
This slide set was developed as an accompaniment to the annual Reported Tuberculosis in the United States publication.
Interactive TB Data Tool
Online Tuberculosis Information System (OTIS)
OTIS is an interactive data system containing information on TB cases reported to CDC. Users can select criteria to produce specific reports. Data are available by year, state, and demographic factors.
The NCHHSTP Atlas is an interactive tools for accessing data collected by CDC’s National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention (NCHHSTP).
National TB Indicators
This report shows key process and outcome measures for TB control programs in the United States. These indicators were selected by CDC in cooperation with partners in state and local health departments. For more information about U.S. TB programs, please visit the National TB Controllers Association website.
- National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention (NCHHSTP) State Profiles
- Epidemiology of Tuberculosis in Correctional Facilities, United States, 1993-2014
- Epidemiology of Pediatric Tuberculosis in the United States, 1993-2015 (Slide Set)
- Mortality and Morbidity Weekly Reports Data and Statistics
- Decrease in Reported Tuberculosis Cases MMWR 2010; 59 (No.10); 289-294
- Epidemiologic Profile 2010: Asians and Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders
- Data Security and Confidentiality Guidelines for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, Sexually Transmitted Disease, and Tuberculosis Programs: Standards to Facilitate Sharing and Use of Surveillance Data for Public Health Action
- Tuberculosis Surveillance Data Training - Report of Verified Case of Tuberculosis
- Archived Surveillance Reports and Slide Sets
- Page last reviewed: December 9, 2016
- Page last updated: December 9, 2016
- Content source: