World TB Day 2019
CDC U.S. TB Elimination Champions
There are many individuals and organizations working in effective and engaging ways to end TB in the United States. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) U.S. TB Elimination Champions Project provides an opportunity to recognize accomplishments and learn best practices from people who are making a significant contribution to preventing and controlling TB in the United States.
In keeping with the 2019 U.S. World TB Day theme “It’s Time!”, we recognize 9 organizations and individuals working across a wide spectrum of TB activities to end TB in their communities. Our aim is to elevate awareness of these activities with the use of high visual interest photos. We have listed below theme categories and slogans this year’s Champions photos reflect.
- It’s time to test and treat latent TB infection.
- It’s time to speak up.
- It’s time to end stigma.
- It’s time to strengthen TB education and awareness among health care providers.
- It’s time to end TB.
We are sharing these inspiring success stories through CDC’s website, Twitter, and Facebook accounts, and hope that they help and inspire others. Congratulations to all of the 2019 U.S. TB Elimination Champions!
Completed Nomination Form, including nominee and nominator information, the photo submission, photo release forms, and answers to the following questions (75 words per submission):
- Describe the nominee’s dedication to the “It’s Time” message reflected in the photo submission.
- What impact have these efforts made in the community?
- Name(s) of people in the photo
Nomination Submission Process
- Nomination form Cdc-word[DOC – 26 KB]
- Photo Requirements:
- Types of Image Files
- JPEG (or JPG) – Joint Photographic Experts Group
- PNG – Portable Network Graphics
- 1024 x 512 pixels
- 1200 x 630 pixels
- 300 dpi
- Types of Image Files
U.S. TB Champions
- Florida Department of Health, Duval County
- Kate O’Brien, We Are TB, TB Survivor
- Laura Smock, MPH, Epidemiologist, Massachusetts Department of Public Health
- Majuro, Republic of the Marshall Islands TB Program
- Daria Szkwarko, DO, MPH, Assistant Professor, Brown University
- Monroe County, New York, Department of Public Health TB Control
- Neha Shah, MD, MPH, Project Director, TB Free California
- Dr. Greg Stern, Health Officer for Whatcom County Public Health
- We Are TB, TB Survivor Network
Read more about the 2017 CDC U.S. TB Elimination Champions who are expanding latent TB infection testing and treatment in their communities.
- The Allentown Health Bureau Control Team
- Julie Vaishampayan
- Jason Stout
- Breathe Easy South Texas
- Pennan Barry
- Tennessee Collaborative Services
- Lynn Community Health Center
- Stephanie Quinn and Luvette Baldwin
- The Fulton County Department of Health and Wellness Tuberculosis Program
- Jonathan Iralu
- Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, Community Health Services
- Denver Metro TB Clinic
- Becky Scoggin
Read more about the 2016 CDC U.S. TB Elimination Champions who are working in one of the five areas that support CDC’s Division of Tuberculosis Elimination Strategic Plan, 2016-2020.
- Supporting TB Control
- Building Partnerships
- Expanding Testing and Treatment
- Focusing on Prevention
- Maximizing Resources