Report of Expert Consultations on Rapid Molecular Testing to Detect Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis in the United States
- World Health Organization. The WHO/IUATLD Global Project on Anti-Tuberculosis Drug Resistance Surveillance. Antituberculosis Drug Resistance in the World Report No. 4 Vol. WHO/HTM/TB2008.394. Geneva, Switzerland, 2008.
- O’Riordan P, Schwab U, Logan S, Cooke G, Wilkinson RJ, Davidson RN, Bassett P, Wall R, Pasvol G, Flanagan KL. Rapid molecular detection of rifampicin resistance facilitates early diagnosis and treatment of multi-drug resistant tuberculosis: case control study. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3173.
- Allen J, Lin G, Desmond E, Westenhouse J, Mase S, Scott C, Schecter G, Flood J. Can rapid drug resistance testing improve time to effective treatment start for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis cases? 5th National Conference on the Laboratory Aspects of Tuberculosis. San Diego CA. 2008.
- Farmer P and Kim JY. Community based approaches to the control of multidrug resistant tuberculosis: Introducing DOTS-plus. Brit Med J. 2008; 317:671–674.
- CDC. Trends in Tuberculosis — United States, 200. MMWR 2009;58:249-53.
- NCCLS., Susceptibility Testing of Mycobacteria, Norcardiae, and Other Aerobic Actinomycetes; Approved Standard M24-A. 2003, Wayne, Pennsylvania.
- American Thoracic Society; CDC; Council of the Infectious Disease Society of America. Diagnostic standards and classification of tuberculosis in adults and children. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000;161:1376–95.
- Zhang Y and Telenti A. Genetics of drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. In Hatfull GF and Jacobs WR Jr (Eds.). Molecular Genetics of Mycobacteria. pp. 235–54. ASM Press, Washington, D.C. 2000.
- Johnson R, Streicher EM, Louw GE, Warren RM, van Helden PD, Victor TC. Drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Curr Issues Mol Biol. 2006;8:97-111.
- Morgan M, Kalantri S, Flores L, Pai M. A commercial line probe assay for the rapid detection of rifampicin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Infect Dis. 2005;5:62.
- Ling DI, Zwerling AA, Pai M. GenoType MTBDR assays for the diagnosis of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: a meta-analysis. Eur Respir J. 2008;32:1165–74.
- WHO Expert Group Report. Molecular line probe assays for rapid screening of patients at risk of multi-drug resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB). Geneva: World Health Organization; 2008. http://www.who.int/tb/features_archive/expert_group_report_june08.pdfpdf iconexternal icon.
- Halse TA, Cunningham P, Wolfgang WJ, Dumas N, and Musser KA. Development and implementation of a real-time PCR assay for rapid identification of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex DNA from clinical samples in New York State. American Society for Microbiology 108th General Meeting. Boston, MA. 2008.
- Cunningham PL, Driscoll J, Rivenburg J, McGarry M, Halse TA, Musser KA, and Escuyer VE. Implementation of a real-time PCR assay for the rapid identification of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex DNA from clinical samples in New York State.5th National Conference on Laboratory Aspects of Tuberculosis. San Diego, CA. 2008.
- Halse TA, Edwards J, Driscoll JR, Escuyer VE, and Musser KA. A pyrosequencing approach to rapidly assess mutations in the rpoB gene associated with rifampin resistance in clinical specimens of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. 48th Annual ICAAC/IDSA. Washington, DC. 2008.
- Lin S-YG, Lin S-Y, Probert W, Lo M , Desmond E. Rapid detection of isoniazid and rifampin resistance mutations in Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex from cultures or smear-positive sputa by use of molecular beacons. J Clin Microbiol 2004;42:4204-08.
- CDC. Reported tuberculosis in the United States, 2007. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, CDC, September 2008.
- Traore H, Fissette K, Bastian I, Devleeschouwer M, Portaels F. Detection of rifampicin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from diverse countries by a commercial line probe assay as initial indicator of multidrug resistance. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2000;4:481-4.
- LoBue PA, Moser KS. Isoniazid- and rifampin-resistant tuberculosis in San Diego County, California, United States, 1993-2002. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2005;9:501-6.
- Moore M, Onorato IM, McCray E, Castro KG. Trends in drug-resistant tuberculosis in the United States, 1993-1996. JAMA. 1997;278:833-7.
- Dinnes J, Deeks J, Kunst H, Gibson A, Cummins E, Waugh N, Drobniewski F, Lalvani A. A systematic review of rapid diagnostic tests for the detection of tuberculosis infection. Health Technol Assess 2007;11(3):1–196.
Page last reviewed: September 1, 2012
Content source: Division of Tuberculosis Elimination