Facilitator Guide for Tuberculosis (TB) in Correctional Settings: What Corrections Staff Need to Know Slide Set
(PDFpdf icon – 548K)
Goal: The Tuberculosis (TB) in Correctional Settings: What Corrections Staff Need to Know slide set is designed to be used by health department staff to educate correctional facility staff on TB treatment and control efforts.
Audience: The intended audience for this slide set is non-medical correctional facility staff.
Reference: This slide set was developed using the CDC Guidelines Prevention and Control of Tuberculosis in Correction and Detention Facilities: Recommendations from CDC, 2006 (https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5509a1.htm).
Overview: Tuberculosis (TB) in Correctional Settings: What Corrections Staff Need to Know has the following sections:
- TB Basics
- TB Testing in Correctional Facilities
- TB Treatment
- Environmental Control: TB In Correctional Settings
- Collaboration Between Correctional Facilities and Public Health TB Control Programs
Facilitator Tips: These slides are a starting point for a conversation between correctional facilities/systems and public health departments. The slides can be adapted as needed.
- Remove slides as needed to allow for the time allotted or to meet audience needs.
- Add slides that include information on state and/or local regulations regarding TB and corrections in your jurisdiction.
- Substitute terms used in state or local facilities.
- Solutions may need to be addressed system-wide and may not be able to be addressed by working with a single correctional facility. Adapt the slides to include information about the larger systemic processes.
- Additional facilitator tips are included in the notes section of the PowerPoint slides.