Smoking & Tobacco Use Features
Each year, the World Health Organization marks May 31 as World No Tobacco Day. CDC participates by observing this day to raise awareness of the health risks associated with tobacco use. A feature article, titled CDC Celebrates World No Tobacco Day, was recently published on CDC.gov. This article listed proven strategies for fighting the tobacco epidemic, recommendations for reducing tobacco use in the United States, and a variety of quitting resources.
- January 27, 2017: E-cigarettes and Young People: A Public Health Concern
- January 11, 2017: Tips Ads Still a Best Buy for Public Health
- December 30, 2016: Countdown to Quitting
- November 14, 2016: Get Ready…Set…Quit!
- June 13, 2016: Everyone Deserves a Smokefree Home
Support to Quit
The following free resources are available to help smokers quit.
- 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669)
Smokers can get free support and advice from experienced counselors, a personalized quit plan, self-help materials, the latest information about cessation medications, and more.
- 1-855-DÉJELO-YA (1-855-335-3569)
A free, phone-based service to help Spanish speaking persons quit tobacco use.
- smokefree.gov provides free, accurate, evidence-based information and professional assistance to help support the immediate and long-term needs of people trying to quit smoking.
- espanol.smokefree.gov provides free, accurate, evidence-based information and professional assistance to help support the immediate and long-term needs of Spanish-speaking individuals trying to quit smoking.
- Tips From Former Smokers™ profiles real people who are living with serious long-term health effects from smoking and secondhand smoke exposure.
- Quit Tobacco is a U.S. Department of Defense-sponsored Web site for military personnel and their families. Sign up for SmokefreeMIL to get 24/7 text support during your quit smoking attempt.
- Help for Smokers and Other Tobacco Users: Quit Smoking is an easy-to-read guide issued by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- Page last reviewed: May 24, 2017
- Page last updated: May 24, 2017
- Content source: