Smoking & Tobacco Use Features
June is National Healthy Homes Month. CDC highlighted this observance in a recent feature article that focused on the dangers that secondhand smoke exposure in multi-unit housing causes. The feature article also emphasized the benefits of smokefree housing policies and The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's smokefree rule that became effective for every U.S. public housing agency in February 2017. In addition, tips for maintaining a smokefree home were listed, as well as quitting resources and further strategies and recommendations on healthy, smokefree housing.
- May 24, 2017: CDC Celebrates World No Tobacco Day
- January 27, 2017: E-cigarettes and Young People: A Public Health Concern
- January 11, 2017: Tips Ads Still a Best Buy for Public Health
Support to Quit
The following free resources are available to help smokers quit.
- 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669)
Smokers can get free support and advice from experienced counselors, a personalized quit plan, self-help materials, the latest information about cessation medications, and more.
- 1-855-DÉJELO-YA (1-855-335-3569)
A free, phone-based service to help Spanish speaking persons quit tobacco use.
- smokefree.gov provides free, accurate, evidence-based information and professional assistance to help support the immediate and long-term needs of people trying to quit smoking.
- espanol.smokefree.gov provides free, accurate, evidence-based information and professional assistance to help support the immediate and long-term needs of Spanish-speaking individuals trying to quit smoking.
- Tips From Former Smokers™ profiles real people who are living with serious long-term health effects from smoking and secondhand smoke exposure.
- Quit Tobacco is a U.S. Department of Defense-sponsored Web site for military personnel and their families. Sign up for SmokefreeMIL to get 24/7 text support during your quit smoking attempt.
- Help for Smokers and Other Tobacco Users: Quit Smoking is an easy-to-read guide issued by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- Page last reviewed: June 26, 2017
- Page last updated: June 26, 2017
- Content source: