Smoking & Tobacco Use Features
Each year, CDC.gov features an article encouraging smokers to make a New Year’s resolution to quit smoking. For 2018, the feature, “Ring in 2018 Smokefree,” highlighted Tips participant Wilma, who quit smoking for good over 10 years ago. Also included in the feature were suggested steps for developing a quit plan, a list of free resources, and information on finding the right cessation medication. The feature ran for one week on CDC’s main page starting December 29, 2017.
- November 9, 2017: Quitting Can Make You a Winner
- November 6, 2017: Celebrate This Veteran’s Day Tobacco Free
- June 26, 2017: Everyone Deserves a Smokefree Home
- May 24, 2017: CDC Celebrates World No Tobacco Day
- January 27, 2017: E-cigarettes and Young People: A Public Health Concern
- January 11, 2017: Tips Ads Still a Best Buy for Public Health
Support to Quit
The following free resources are available to help smokers quit.
Smokers can get free support and advice from experienced counselors, a personalized quit plan, self-help materials, the latest information about cessation medications, and more.
A free, phone-based service to help Spanish speaking persons quit tobacco use.
- smokefree.gov provides free, accurate, evidence-based information and professional assistance to help support the immediate and long-term needs of people trying to quit smoking.
- espanol.smokefree.gov provides free, accurate, evidence-based information and professional assistance to help support the immediate and long-term needs of Spanish-speaking individuals trying to quit smoking.
- Tips From Former Smokers™ profiles real people who are living with serious long-term health effects from smoking and secondhand smoke exposure.
- Quit Tobacco is a U.S. Department of Defense-sponsored Web site for military personnel and their families. Sign up for SmokefreeMIL to get 24/7 text support during your quit smoking attempt.
- Help for Smokers and Other Tobacco Users: Quit Smoking is an easy-to-read guide issued by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- Page last reviewed: January 4, 2018
- Page last updated: January 4, 2018
- Content source: