Mining News & Articles
- Miner's Day - December 6, 2017December 4, 2017 NewsworthyMiner's Day is December 6, 2017. We celebrate miners and honor the difficult work they do. Our society depends on them to produce the raw materials we need.
- NIOSH Researcher Awarded Science HonorOctober 31, 2017Read about our researcher, John J. Sammarco, Ph.D., who was recently honored as an ABET fellow, a significant award in the field of science.
- New Web Application: Hazard Recognition ChallengeOctober 26, 2017Learn about the web application Hazard Recognition Challenge, in which users must find hazards in a virtual environment replicating a mine site.
- NIOSH at 2017 Underground Stone Safety SeminarOctober 18, 2017See NIOSH at the 2017 Underground Stone Safety Seminar, Dec. 5 and 6 in Louisville, KY.
- Webinar: Protecting Workers in Enclosed Cabs from Silica Exposure: Leveraging Research from the Mining IndustryOctober 16, 2017 NewsworthyPlan to attend this webinar to hear about protecting workers in enclosed cabs from silica exposure.
- NIOSH Mining Program Appoints a New Director to its Spokane Mining Research DivisionSeptember 29, 2017 NewsworthyMeet Todd M. Ruff, MS, PE, the new Director of the Spokane Mining Research Division (SMRD) of the NIOSH Mining Program.
- Knowing the Facts about Heat Stress in MiningJune 29, 2017 NewsworthyLearn about the risks associated with heat stress in mining and what you can do to keep yourself safe.
- NIOSH Mining Webinar: Improvement of Longwall VentilationMay 12, 2017 NewsworthyPlan to attend this important webinar on longwall ventilation and how to improve conditions for miners, Sept. 21, 2017.
- Workshop on Elongate Mineral Particles: Integrating Terminology and CharacterizationApril 14, 2017 NewsworthyParticipate in a NIOSH-sponsored National Academy of Sciences workshop on elongate mineral particles May 15-16, 2017, at the National Academies in Washington, D.C.
- NIOSH Mining Brings Expertise to WashingtonMarch 29, 2017 NewsworthyNIOSH Mining researchers shared their technical expertise in Washington with colleagues developing their own virtual reality space.
- NIOSH Hearing Loss Prevention Unit is at CONEXPO-CON/AGGMarch 6, 2017 NewsworthyNIOSH Mining's Hearing Loss Prevention Unit is offering free hearing tests at CONEXPO-CON/AGG 2017 in Las Vegas!
- NIOSH at SME 2017February 17, 2017 NewsworthyFind out about all of the NIOSH presentations Feb. 20-22 at SME 2017.
- New Web Application: Safety Pays in MiningFebruary 17, 2017 NewsworthyUse the Safety Pays in Mining web application from NIOSH to learn how worker injuries—medical bills plus other costs—affect mining companies' finances.
- NIOSH Exhibit at the 2017 SME Annual ConferenceFebruary 17, 2017 NewsworthyNIOSH will showcase some of its latest mine safety and health research at the 2017 Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration (SME) Annual Conference and Expo February 19–22 in Denver, Colorado.
- Refuge Alternative Research at SME 2017February 13, 2017 NewsworthyLearn about NIOSH refuge alternative research at SME 2017.
- Proximity Detection Research at SME 2017February 13, 2017 NewsworthyLearn about NIOSH proximity detection research at SME 2017.
- EVADE 2.0February 1, 2017 NewsworthyThe EVADE software has expanded to take in more data points and identify more hazardous exposures.
- MSHA Media Event Highlights Mine Rescue CapabilitiesJanuary 6, 2017 NewsworthyDepartment of Labor's Mine Safety and Health Administration showcased many recent achievements in mine rescue capabilities at a Jan. 5, 2017, event, including NIOSH Mining technology.
- CPDM Helps Coal Miners Avoid Hazardous DustDecember 30, 2016 NewsworthyFind out how the continuous personal dust monitor (CPDM) is being used to reduce exposure to black lung-causing coal dust.
- Miner's Day - December 6, 2016December 2, 2016 NewsworthyMiner's Day is December 6, 2016. Celebrate our miners and the hard work they do to support our society and build a safe and prosperous mining industry.
- NIOSH Refuge Alternative Partnership MeetingSeptember 30, 2016 NewsworthyReserve a spot now to attend a partnership meeting on refuge alternatives Oct. 19.
- NIOSH at 2016 Underground Stone SeminarSeptember 26, 2016See NIOSH at the 2016 Underground Stone Seminar in Louisville, KY, on December 6-7.
- NIOSH Self-Escape and Rescue WebinarSeptember 6, 2016 NewsworthyReserve a spot now to attend a webinar Sept. 8 on mine rescue and self-escape.
- Meet R.J. Matetic, the New Director of the Pittsburgh Mining Research DivisionAugust 5, 2016 NewsworthyOn June 13, 2016, Dr. R.J. Matetic became the director of the Pittsburgh Mining Research Division (PMRD) of the NIOSH Mining Program.
- NIOSH Refuge Alternative WebinarJune 16, 2016 NewsworthyReserve a spot now to attend a webinar on refuge alternatives June 23.
- NIOSH Workshops at MINExpo 2016June 3, 2016See the latest mining safety and health solutions from NIOSH at two workshops going on now at MINExpo 2016.
- NIOSH's Jacob Carr Receives Presidential AwardMay 11, 2016 NewsworthyCongratulations to Pittsburgh Mining Research Division’s Jacob Carr, a recipient of this year’s Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE).
- International Noise Awareness DayApril 26, 2016 NewsworthyCelebrate International Noise Awareness Day and learn about resources to reduce noise exposure and prevent noise-induced hearing loss.
- PDM3700 notice about user manual updatesMarch 29, 2016Read the latest notice about operating manual updates for the NIOSH-certified PDM3700 Personal Dust Monitor
- NIOSH Researcher Receives Two Government Engineering AwardsFebruary 25, 2016 NewsworthyNIOSH researcher John Sammarco has won two government engineering awards.
- NIOSH Engineer Chosen for Presidential Early Career AwardFebruary 25, 2016 NewsworthyNIOSH engineer Jacob Carr is receiving the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers.
- Proximity Detection Research at SME 2016February 19, 2016 NewsworthyLearn about NIOSH's proximity detection research at SME 2016
- NIOSH at SME 2016February 19, 2016 NewsworthyNIOSH will be at SME 2016 to share research and interact with stakeholders.
- Breathing Air Supplies and Refuge Alternative Research at SME 2016February 19, 2016 NewsworthyLearn about NIOSH breathing air supply research and refuge alternative recommendations at SME 2016.
- NIOSH Exhibit at the 2016 SME Annual ConferenceFebruary 19, 2016 NewsworthyStop by the NIOSH SME exhibit at Booth 1211 to try out new software, see technology demonstrations, or pick up one of our latest publications.
- NIOSH Welcomes its New Associate Director for MiningFebruary 8, 2016 NewsworthyMeet Dr. Jessica E. Kogel, the Associate Director for Mining and head of the NIOSH Office of Mine Safety and Health Research.
- OMSHR Welcomes a New Director to its Spokane Mining Research DivisionJanuary 10, 2016Meet Dr. Eric A. Lutz, the new Director of OMSHR's Spokane Mining Research Division.
- Miner's Day - December 6, 2015December 4, 2015 NewsworthyCelebrate National Miner's Day on December 6, 2015 to honor our miners and the hard work they do to support our society and build a safe and prosperous mining industry.
- Through-the-earth Communications Technologies AvailableSeptember 1, 2015 NewsworthyA feature story about through-the-earth communcations technologies available for mine emergencies.
- BG 4 Breathing Apparatus Training Software ReleasedSeptember 1, 2015The BG 4 Benching Trainer Software is an interactive software program developed by NIOSH and targeted as reinforcement training of benching competencies for mine rescue personnel.
- Rapid Rescue Drilling Equipment Transferred to National Mine Health and Safety AcademyJune 16, 2015 NewsworthyA feature story about the transfer of rapid rescue drilling equipment to the National Mine Health and Safety Academy.
- New Drill Bit Isolator Reduces NoiseApril 14, 2015 NewsworthyNIOSH-developed technology reduces drilling noise for coal mine roof bolting machines by 3-5 decibels. A drill bit isolator using this technology is now commercially available.
- Announcing New Publication on Refuge AlternativesApril 1, 2015A feature story to announce the publication of a new NIOSH RI on built-in-place refuge alternatives.
- NIOSH OMSHR at the 2015 SME Annual MeetingFebruary 13, 2015NIOSH will showcase some of its latest mine safety and health innovations at the 2015 Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration (SME) Annual Conference and Expo February 15–18 in Denver, Colorado.
- Fatigue Management for Haul Truck Drivers: A Low-Tech Solution for a Small MineOctober 28, 2014A feature story of how a small mine implemented a fatigue management program for its haul truck drivers.
- Data Detectives: How NIOSH Mining Corrected a Century-old ErrorJuly 21, 2014A feature describing data from 1911 that was misreported as a mine disaster.
- Brody Mine Accident Highlights Need for Retreat Mining SafetyMay 20, 2014 NewsworthyA short feature story describing NIOSH products on retreat mining.
- Announcing Two New Sister Publications on Refuge AlternativesMarch 27, 2014 NewsworthyAnnouncing Two New Sister Publications on Refuge Alternatives
- New Equipment and Protocol for Drilling Large-Diameter Rescue BoreholesJanuary 28, 2014 NewsworthyA feature story about new equipment and protocol for drilling large-diameter rescue boreholes.
- Helmet Video Recorder Helps to Identify High Dust ExposureJune 5, 2013Mine operators have a new tool for identifying specific work tasks that cause high respirable dust exposure for workers.
- NIOSH Illumination Research Addresses Visual Performance Needs with LED TechnologyApril 10, 2013 NewsworthyThis feature article describes NIOSH efforts to develop improved illumination technologies for the mining environment.
- OMSHR at the 2013 SME Annual MeetingFebruary 20, 2013A feature page about OMSHR activities at the SME Annual Meeting.
- New National Survey of the U.S. Mining Population PublishedDecember 14, 2012The most comprehensive survey of our nation’s mining population.
- Proximity Detection: A Continuing Research ImperativeDecember 3, 2012December 3, 2012 feature on proximity detection research
- Ground Control Research: Considering Local Geology to Improve Longwall Pillar StabilityNovember 14, 2012 NewsworthyA description of two Ground Control Program projects that aim to enhance mine safety through improved longwall pillar designs that consider a mine’s local geology.
- Dust Control Handbooks for Coal Mining and Metal/Nonmetal MiningNovember 9, 2012 NewsworthyA pair of new handbooks from NIOSH to identify and promote engineering controls to protect mine workers from overexposures to dust.
- OMSHR's New WebsiteSeptember 24, 2012 NewsworthyOMSHR’s New Website
- OMSHR Activities at MINExpo 2012September 24, 2012A summary of OMSHR activities at the 2012 MineExpo conference.
- Coal Mine Explosion Prevention AccomplishmentsSeptember 14, 2012Coal Mine Explosion Prevention Accomplishments
- Inundations Can Put Miners at Risk by Blocking Escape RoutesJune 30, 2012 NewsworthyInundation, or water suddenly entering a mine, is not that uncommon.
- Deep Metal Mine Fatality Raises Questions on Use of Cemented FillMay 20, 2012 NewsworthyIn light of recent accidents in metal mines, some fatal, NIOSH OMSHR is again studying the use of cemented fill in mining operations.
- Coal Mine Explosion PreventionDecember 9, 2011 NewsworthyPreventing coal mine explosions requires a suite of control strategies and NIOSH continues to conduct research to develop more effective intervention measures.
- Trend in Black Lung Cases Concerns NIOSH ResearchersDecember 9, 2011Implementation of dust control technology and improved dust monitoring are effective ways for mine operators to reduce exposures to respirable coal dust. OMSHR is working to assist the industry’s efforts to limit miner exposure to dust.
- Technology for Real-Time Monitoring of Coal Dust Explosion HazardsDecember 5, 2011 NewsworthyThe NIOSH Coal Dust Explosibility Meter (CDEM) is available for purchase and use in underground coal mines. A recent Information Circular supports its use for real-time explosibility testing of rock and coal dust samples.
- Intelligent Proximity Detection to Improve Miner SafetyNovember 28, 2011 NewsworthyNIOSH is developing a prototype intelligent system that provides enhanced protection by continuously monitoring miners’ positions in relation to the machine and established safety zones.
- Rib Falls: A Major Ground Control IssueJune 29, 2011NIOSH's OMSHR is starting a new project to produce guidance and tools to improve management of rib fall hazards.
- New Rock Dusting Standard to Prevent Coal Mine ExplosionsMay 25, 2011NIOSH recommends a new standard of 80% total incombustible content be required in intake airways of bituminous coal mines in the absence of methane.
- Page last reviewed: 1/3/2018
- Page last updated: 2/20/2018
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program