NIOSH Mining Employment Opportunities
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Mining Program recruits to fill a diverse range of research and operational positions on an ongoing basis.
Most of these positions are within the NIOSH Mining research centers in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and Spokane, Washington. We solicit candidates in all mining-applicable disciplines, including chemistry, physics, social sciences, and engineering (mining, chemical, mechanical, electrical, and biomechanical). We also solicit operational candidates in administration, communication, and information technology.
Executive position opening
The NIOSH Mining Program seeks highly qualified candidates for a full-time executive position as the Director of the Pittsburgh Mining Research Division (PMRD) within the Office of Mine Safety and Health Research (OMSHR). For more on the duties, the qualifications and requirements for applicants, and how to apply, please see our page for interested candidates.
Employment opportunities through USAJOBS
We seek employees through postings on USAJOBS (www.usajobs.gov) and several other venues. Our currently active USAJOBS positions are listed below and you can be alerted to our future openings by creating a USAJOBS saved search containing the text "NIOSH Mining". Even if we do not have a USAJOBS posting that matches your qualifications, we are still interested in talking with you to discuss upcoming opportunities that may provide a good fit with your credentials.
NIOSH also has a special hiring program for Associate and Senior Research Fellows. This program provides opportunities for candidates with advanced degrees in scientific areas and hires experts from around the world.
Advantages of working for the NIOSH Mining Program
For more information on job openings, contact: Sue Minoski at 412-386-6867, or MiningJobs@cdc.gov.
What types of positions we hire
The NIOSH Mining Program hires a variety of positions at various times. Some of these positions include:
- Mining engineers
- Mechanical engineers
- Visual information specialists
- Computer engineers
- Health communication specialists
- Electronics and mechanical technicians
- Physical scientists
- Research managers and executive leaders
Openings coming soon
Check USAJOBS.gov often for new postings.
Current openings on USAJOBS
No openings at this time.
- Meet R.J. Matetic, the New Director of the Pittsburgh Mining Research Division
- Mining Program Goals
- Mining Publications List: 1995 - 1999
- NIOSH Mining Update - New Publications 1995-96
- NIOSH Workshops at MINExpo 2016
- Optimizing Secondary Roof Support with the NIOSH Support Technology Optimization Program (STOP)
- Program of Research - A Summary of Research in Progress during Fiscal Years 98
- A Review of NIOSH and U.S. Bureau of Mines Research to Improve Miners' Health and Safety Training
- Technology News 513 - Coaching Workshop for On-the-Job Trainers
- Toolbox Training on Flyrock Awareness