Mining Feature: OMSHR Activities at MINExpo 2012
Monday, September 24, 2012
NIOSH at MINExpo
NIOSH’s Office of Mine Safety and Health Research (OMSHR) will showcase some of its most progressive mining safety and health innovations at the 2012 MINExpo International.
The OMSHR exhibit will join more than 1,800 exhibits at one of the largest mine equipment, service, and technology shows in the world. Researchers from OMSHR will also be giving presentations at the event detailing some of the latest technologies being developed in mine safety and health.
OMSHR’s featured elements in the exhibit include:
- The Cap Lamp exhibit will feature the new OMSHR LED lamp and an older incandescent lamp to show their different lighting abilities. The new OMSHR lamp is brighter, offers a wider path of light, and is more resilient when bumped or dropped than older bulb-type cap lamps.
- The Coal Dust Explosibility Meter (CDEM) exhibit will educate visitors on a commercially available device that enables real time measurements of rock dust concentrations used to prevent coal dust explosions.
- The Personal Dust Monitor (PDM) exhibit will focus on real time measurements of exposure, which allows mine workers to adjust their working situation to reduce respirable coal dust exposure.
- The Black Lung component of the exhibit will display X-rays of healthy lungs and those exposed to years of coal dust.
- Interactive exhibit elements include two sound-based projects. One features a component used to reduce noise overexposure in drilling; the other shows how coating a specific piece of equipment with rubber can have a significant impact on sound levels.
Staff from OMSHR’s Human Resources Office will also be on hand to discuss career opportunities with OMSHR. The staff will be ready to talk about many of the engineering research positions that are currently available.
OMSHR researchers will be at the event for two days presenting on a variety of health and safety topics.
September 25 and 26, 2012- Presentations on Both Days
- Coal Mine Explosion Prevention Accomplishments
- A Compendium of NIOSH Mining Research 2000
- A Compendium of NIOSH Mining Research 2001
- A Compendium of NIOSH Mining Research 2002
- History of the Mining Program
- NIOSH OMSHR at the 2015 SME Annual Meeting
- NIOSH Welcomes its New Associate Director for Mining
- OMSHR at the 2013 SME Annual Meeting
- OMSHR Welcomes a New Director to its Spokane Mining Research Division
- OMSHR's New Website