Mining Feature: 2020 Rock Dust Partnership meeting
Wednesday, September 30, 2020
The NIOSH Mining Program Rock Dust Partnership hosted a meeting on September 30, 2020 about the latest developments in effective prevention of coal mine explosions using rock dust and related solutions.
This virtual meeting was conducted over the Zoom platform.
See questions asked by attendees and answers provided by NIOSH staff.
Click on presentation title links to view the presented slides in PDF format. Presentation file hosting courtesy of the Joseph A. Holmes Safety Association website.
|Welcome||Dr. Jessica Kogel, NIOSH|
|Opening Comments||Bill Francart, MSHA
Tom Harman, NMA
Emily Coyner, NSSGA
Mark Ellis, IMA-NA
Josh Roberts/Ron Bowersox, UMWA
Hunter Prillaman, National Lime
|Introduction||Dr. Gerrit V.R. Goodman, NIOSH|
|A review of past NIOSH rock dust research and accomplishments||Marcia L. Harris, NIOSH|
|Large-scale test results: treated rock dust||Dr. Eranda Perera, NIOSH|
|Large-scale test results: foamed rock dust||Connor Brown, NIOSH|
|Status of dispersion chamber as NIOSH method||Dr. Eranda Perera, NIOSH|
|Underground test facilities||Dr. Gerrit V.R. Goodman, NIOSH|
|Discussion and next step||NIOSH staff|
|Concluding Comments||Dr. Jessica Kogel, NIOSH|
- Prepare final report detailing results of large-scale testing
- Include Partnership reviewers
- Pursue development of Mace experimental facility
- Working closely with GSA for eventual acquisition
- Move forward with development in consultation with CDC/OSSAM
- Pursue development of NIOSH flame tube at PMRD
- 2-year development effort
- Research to start FY23