HIV and African American Gay and Bisexual Men: Knowledge of Status
Knowledge of status is one of the six Ending the HIV Epidemic in the U.S. indicators. Knowledge of status refers to the estimated percentage of people with HIV who have received an HIV diagnosis.
* Black refers to people having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa. African American is a term often used for people of African descent with ancestry in North America.
† Includes infections attributed to male-to-male sexual contact only. Among Black/African American men with HIV attributed to male-to-male sexual contact and injection drug use, 94% knew they had HIV.
Source: CDC. Estimated HIV incidence and prevalence in the United States 2015–2019. HIV Surveillance Supplemental Report 2021;26(1).
- CDC. Behavioral and clinical characteristics of persons with diagnosed HIV infection—Medical Monitoring Project, United States, 2020 cycle (June 2020–May 2021). HIV Surveillance Special Report 2022;29.
- CDC. Diagnoses of HIV infection in the United States and dependent areas, 2019. HIV Surveillance Report 2021;32.
- CDC. Estimated HIV incidence and prevalence in the United States, 2015–2019 [PDF – 3 MB]. HIV Surveillance Supplemental Report 2021;26(1).
- CDC. Monitoring selected national HIV prevention and care objectives by using HIV surveillance data—United States and 6 dependent areas, 2019. HIV Surveillance Supplemental Report 2021;26(2).
- CDC. HIV infection risk, prevention, and testing behaviors among men who have sex with men—National HIV Behavioral Surveillance, 23 U.S. cities, 2017 [PDF – 1 MB]. HIV Surveillance Special Report 2019;22.
- CDC. HIV care outcomes among men who have sex with men with diagnosed HIV infection—United States, 2015. MMWR 2017;66(37):969-74.
- Marano M, Stein R, Song W, Patel D, Taylor-Aidoo N, Xu S, Scales L. HIV testing, linkage to HIV medical care, and interviews for partners services among black men who have sex with men—non-health care facilities, 20 southern U.S. jurisdictions, 2016. MMWR 2018;67(28):778-81.