HIV and Gay and Bisexual Men: Knowledge of Status
Knowledge of status is one of the six Ending the HIV Epidemic in the U.S. indicators. Knowledge of status refers to the estimated percentage of people with HIV who have received an HIV diagnosis.
* Includes infections attributed to male-to-male sexual contact only. Among men with HIV attributed to male-to-male sexual contact and injection drug use, 92% knew they had HIV.
Source: CDC. Estimated HIV incidence and prevalence in the United States, 2015–2019 [PDF – 3 MB]. HIV Surveillance Supplemental Report 2021;26(1).
- CDC. Diagnoses of HIV infection in the United States and dependent areas, 2019. HIV Surveillance Report 2021;32.
- CDC. Estimated HIV incidence and prevalence in the United States, 2015–2019 [PDF – 3 MB]. HIV Surveillance Supplemental Report 2021;26(1).
- CDC. Monitoring selected national HIV prevention and care objectives by using HIV surveillance data—United States and 6 dependent areas, 2019. HIV Surveillance Supplemental Report 2021;26(2).
- CDC. Sexually transmitted disease surveillance, 2019. Accessed September 1, 2021.
- CDC. Behavioral and clinical characteristics of persons with diagnosed HIV infection—Medical Monitoring Project, United States, 2020 cycle (June 2020–May 2021). HIV Surveillance Special Report 2022;29.
- CDC. HIV infection risk, prevention, and testing behaviors among men who have sex with men—National HIV Behavioral Surveillance, 23 U.S. cities, 2017. HIV Surveillance Special Report 2019;22.
- CDC. HIV care outcomes among men who have sex with men with diagnosed HIV infection—United States, 2015. MMWR 2017;66(37):969-74.
- CDC. HIV testing experience before HIV diagnosis among men who have sex with men—21 jurisdictions, United States, 2007–2013. MMWR 2016;65(37):999-1003.
- Clark HA, Oraka E, DiNenno EA, et al. Men who have sex with men (MSM) who have not previously tested for HIV: Results from the MSM testing initiative, United States (2012-2015). AIDS Behav 2019;23(2):359-65. PubMed abstract.
- Kwan CK, Rose CE, Brooks JT, Marks G, Sionean C. HIV testing among men at risk for acquiring HIV infection before and after the 2006 CDC recommendations. Public Health Rep 2016;131:311-9. PubMed abstract.