Unit 4: Health Conditions and Diseases
This unit has information on how to help students manage health conditions, like asthma and diabetes, while they are at school. You will also find information on vaccine-preventable diseases and school vaccination requirements.
Managing Health Conditions in Schools
- Diabetes Kickstart – a video series to help people with diabetes better manage their health.
- Eagle Books– A series of books for young readers developed in response to the burden of diabetes among Native Americans and the lack of diabetes prevention materials for Native American children. There are four books for K–4 readers, plus three chapter books and a graphic novel for readers in grades 5–8. All books can be ordered or downloaded for free.
- Food Allergies
- COVID-19 Vaccines for Children and Teens
- 6 Ways Schools Can Promote COVID-19 Vaccines
- Community Protectors: Children Help Communities Stay Safe from COVID-19– A youth coloring book available for free download [PDF – 28 MB] that can be used to teach children—specifically, American Indian and Alaska Native children ages 5-10—on ways they can stay safe and help protect their communities from the spread of COVID-19.
- Diseases and the Vaccines that Prevent Them
- Vaccine Basics
- School Vaccination Requirements