Professional Development & Training
Professional development (PD) is a systematic process that strengthens how professionals obtain and retain knowledge, skills and attitudes. Effective PD is consciously designed to actively engage learners and includes the planning, design, marketing, delivery, follow-up and evaluation of professional development offerings.
What is Professional Development (PD)?
CDC-Recommended PD Practices
PD Practices at a Glance
- Sustain an effective infrastructure that promotes and implements PD and collaboration.
- Design instructionally sound PD activities.
- Market in a focused manner to sustain contacts and provide consistent services.
- Deliver streamlined instructional activities that are responsive and timely.
- Follow up to support growth and meet goals.
- Evaluate for continuous improvement.
Professional Development: How to Build a Training Cadre
Meeting your organization’s many goals can be particularly challenging for just one person, or even a few individuals, to accomplish given other responsibilities. Building a training cadre is a key component of Professional Development. This toolkit explains the need for a training cadre to sustain an organization’s professional development goals, and provides many resources to support your efforts.
Professional Development Follow-up Support Tool Kit
This tool kit provides information and resources for follow-up support after the completion of a professional development event. The tool kit includes worksheets that can be used to facilitate the follow-up process.
- Professional Development Follow-Up Support Kit [PDF - 229KB]
- Professional Development Practices [PDF - 160KB]
- Professional Development Practices Inventory [PDF - 207KB]
- Follow-up Support: Team Action Plan Template [PDF - 91KB]
- Follow-up Support: Technology Survey [PDF - 90KB]
- Professional Development Follow-Up Support: The Continuum [PDF - 250KB]
- Evaluation Distinctions [PDF - 77KB]
- Guide for Follow-up Support Planning [PDF - 107KB]
- Providing Follow-up Support: Guiding Questions [PDF - 112KB]
- Online Professional Development Follow-Up Support Tools [PDF - 138KB]
Professional Development: Follow Up Support Webinar
Description: This module is the second in a series of modules designed to help you develop an effective professional development training program. This module focuses on Follow Up Support and provides a detailed overview of the professional development process. The module will describe the Follow Up Support tool-kit and the resources needed to develop a learning event.
- Page last reviewed: September 19, 2016
- Page last updated: September 19, 2016
- Content source: