School Health Index
The School Health Index (SHI): Self-Assessment & Planning Guide 2017 (and related materials) is available as an interactive, customizable online tool or downloadable, printable version.
The SHI has two activities to be completed by teams from your school: the eight self-assessment modules and a planning for improvement process:
- The self-assessment process brings members of your school community together to discuss what your school is already doing to promote good health and to identify strengths and weaknesses. The SHI assesses the extent to which your school implements the types of policies and practices recommended by CDC in its research-based guidelines for school health and safety policies and programs.
- After you complete the self-assessment process, you will identify recommended actions your school can take to improve its performance in areas that received low scores. The SHI will guide you through a simple process for prioritizing recommendations. More
- Updated to align with the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) model.
- Two new modules added on Social and Emotional Climate and Physical Environment.
This course introduces you to CDC’s School Health Index: Self-Assessment and Planning Guide. After this course, you will be ready to conduct or participate in a self-assessment and create a plan to improve the health of students in your school or district.
This course will help you:
- Understand the School Health Index modules.
- Identify the steps for implementing the School Health Index.
- Learn the process for conducting a self-assessment and plan for improvement.