Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System (YRBSS)
2021 YRBSS Data Release Coming Spring 2023
The Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System (YRBSS) monitors six categories of health-related behaviors that contribute to the leading causes of death and disability among youth and adults, including—
- Behaviors that contribute to unintentional injuries and violence
- Sexual behaviors related to unintended pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV infection
- Alcohol and other drug use
- Tobacco use
- Unhealthy dietary behaviors
- Inadequate physical activity
YRBSS also measures the prevalence of obesity and asthma and other health-related behaviors plus sexual identity and sex of sexual contacts.
YRBSS is a system of surveys. It includes:
- a national school-based survey conducted by CDC and state, territorial, tribal;
- local surveys conducted by state, territorial, and local education and health agencies and tribal governments.
Explore 2019 YRBS national, state, and local school district data via tables and graphs.