NCHS is responding to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) with new resources to help monitor and report deaths. Please visit our COVID-19 Death Data and Reporting Guidance page to stay up to date on the latest information.
National-level mortality data help track the characteristics of those who have died, monitor and make decisions about public health challenges, determine life expectancy, and compare death trends with other countries. Learn more
*COVID-19 became an official cause of death in 2020; rates for 2019 are not applicable.
1Statistically significant increase in age-adjusted death rate from 2019 to 2020 (p < 0.05).
2Statistically significant decrease in age-adjusted death rate from 2019 to 2020 (p < 0.05).
NOTES: A total of 3,383,729 resident deaths were registered in the United States in 2020. The 10 leading causes of death accounted for 74.1% of all deaths in the United States in 2020. Causes of death are ranked according to number of deaths. Rankings for 2019 data are not shown. Data table for Figure 4 includes the number of deaths for leading causes and the percentage of total deaths. Access data table for Figure 4pdf iconpdf icon.
SOURCE: National Center for Health Statistics, National Vital Statistics System, Mortality.
- Decline in Perinatal Mortality in the United States, 2017–2019 (1/18/2021)
- Drug Overdose Deaths in the United States, 1999–2020 (12/30/2021)
- Mortality in the United States, 2020 (12/21/2021)
- State Declines in Heart Disease Mortality in the United States, 2000–2019 (12/9/2021)
- Sepsis-related Mortality Among Adults Aged 65 and Over: United States, 2019 (11/10/2021)
- Mortality Profile of the Non-Hispanic American Indian or Alaska Native Population, 2019 pdf icon[PDF – 683 KB] Supplemental Tables pdf icon[PDF – 106 KB] (11/9/2021)
- Provisional Numbers and Rates of Suicide by Month and Demographic Characteristics: United States, 2020 pdf icon[PDF – 463 KB] (11/3/2021)
- Fetal Mortality: United States, 2019 pdf icon[PDF – 971 KB] (10/2021)
- Death Rates by Marital Status for Leading Causes of Death: United States, 2010–2019 pdf icon[PDF ‐ 333 KB] (10/2021)
- Trends in Death Rates in Urban and Rural Areas: United States, 1999–2019 (9/2021)
- Deaths: Leading Causes for 2019 pdf icon[PDF – 3 MB] Supplemental Tables pdf icon[PDF ‐ 1.5 MB](7/2021)
See our projects to modernize the National Vital Statistics System
Trainings, Tools, and Guidance
Detailed instruction to help with completion of vital records
Medical Examiners and Coroners
Resources, guidelines, and links to professional associations