NVSS Modernization Tool Kit
The NVSS Modernization Tool Kit brings together training materials, technical tools, and guidance documents to help jurisdictions and their technical partners working in the NVSS modernization space. The term “modernization” is defined broadly and covers the full spectrum of activities ranging from carrying out a business process analysis to identifying and addressing bottle necks, establishing or updating an EDRS and/or expanding its use, and working on FHIR based interoperability.
The NVSS Modernization Tool kit is organized by theme and includes resources for both technical and program audiences. Resources include tools developed by NCHS , their technical partners, and other organizations. The links below will take you to various outside links/resources that together comprise the NVSS Modernization Toolkit.
Carrying out a process analysis and gathering requirements are important steps when exploring FHIR based interoperability. These links provide comprehensive trainings on the ‘how to’ for carrying out these important first steps.
If you are acquiring a new EDRS, upgrading an existing one or simply looking for best practices related to establishing an EDRS, this section will provide you with relevant resources. Also included is a document describing “Nightingale,” a prototype electronic death registration system that was developed in house by NCHS and MITRE which is used in testing.
This section is comprised of open sources tools developed by NCHS and its technical partners to facilitate FHIR based interoperability between EDRS-to-NCHS and CMS-to-EDRS flows. Sample resources include FHIR implementation guide, code libraries and testing framework, FHIR APIs and Servers and a tool to help map to FHIR resources.
A. General Implementation Guidance
- Vital Records Death Reporting FHIR Implementation Guide
- Vital Records FHIR Messaging Implementation Guide
B. Connecting EDRS to NCHS
- Opensource C# library for consuming and producing FHIR-based mortality data
- Open source Nightingale EDRS - an EDRS prototype
- Open source Canary Testing Framework
- Open Source NVSS Application Programming Interface (API)
C. Connecting Medical Examiner/Coroner Case Management System (CMS) to EDRS
- Raven Platform - Raven is a proof of concept platform that provides a reference implementation and testing tools for the interoperability between case management system (CMS) and electronic death registration system (EDRS).
- Raven Wiki Page - This wiki exists as a guide to help users understand the Raven mortality platform, providing both end-user manuals as well as technical documentation for items such as data schema.
- Raven Mapper API - The Raven Import and Submission API component provides for two distinct APIs, one for importing MDI CSV data to the FHIR Server and another for submitting exported VRDR compliant documents to external systems. In addition, Raven-Mapper-API is an example of an application which uses the VRDR_Javalib to manage VRDR data.
- FHIR Dashboard -The Raven Dashboard is the front end for the Raven Platform through which user's can import their own data, view currently stored FHIR VRDR Resources, and export FHIR VRDR Resources to external Death Registration Systems.
- FHIR Server and FHIR API -The Raven FHIR Server provides API access to a Fhirbase database, which acts as the data store for the Raven Platform.
- Test Plans and Test Cases
D. SMART ON FHIR
- SMART on FHIR SMART Tech Stack for Health Apps (note approaches to authorization and authentication)
- Design and evaluation considerations for mobile applications and other tools to support death certification [PDF - 167 KB]
If you are new to FHIR based interoperability or looking to understand key concepts better, this section will be useful. It contains on-demand training resources on FHIR, interoperability and informatics as well as links to policy/guidance documents related to data modernization at CDC and ONC.
A. Training Resources on Public Health Informatics, Interoperability and FHIR
This list contains a wide range of free and at cost training resources in the form of online videos, podcasts and written documents to improve workforce capacity and training in public health informatics, interoperability and FHIR.
- Training Resources [PDF - 83 KB]
- The Public Health Interoperability Training Catalog - The Public Health Interoperability Training Catalog is a curated set of training and education resources, tools, presentations, and publications on interoperability—both general and specifically for public health. The resources encompass a wide variety of topics including general interoperability and standards, public health informatics, governance, data quality, and terminology.
B. Overall Policy and Guidance Documents (e.g. USCDI, ONC, etc)
C. Data Modernization in Public Health
This section includes recorded trainings on how to use tools developed by NCHS and its technical partners to facilitate FHIR based interoperability. Also included are presentations from prior meetings on topics of interest. This component of the Tool Kit is growing with new content being added over time.
- National Vital Statistics System Data Modernization and NVSS Modernization Community of Practice
- Medicolegal Death Investigation FHIR based interoperability - Coming Soon
- FHIR v4.0.1 Implementation Guide
- HL7 FHIR Implementation Guidance Checklist [PDF - 195 KB]
- HL7 FHIR Implementation Guide Registry
- FHIR implementation guides for Vital Records Death Reporting (VRDR) - Coming Soon