National Hospital Care Survey
The National Hospital Care Survey (NHCS) is designed to provide accurate and reliable health care statistics that answer key questions of interest to health care and public health professionals, researchers, and health care policy makers. This includes tracking the latest trends affecting hospitals and health care organizations and factors that influence the use of health care resources, the quality of health care, and disparities in health care services provided to population subgroups in the United States.
NHCS collects data on patient care in hospital-based settings to describe patterns of health care delivery and utilization in the United States. Settings include inpatient, emergency (EDs), and outpatient departments (OPDs). The survey will provide hospital utilization statistics for the Nation. In addition, NHCS will also be able to monitor national trends in substance use-related ED visits including opioid visits. Researchers can link these survey data to outside data sources such as the National Death Index (NDI) to obtain a more complete picture of patient care.
Check out the NHCS Overview Flyer pdf icon[PDF – 177 KB].
Has your hospital been selected to take part in the National Hospital Care Survey? Check out our How to Participate in NHCS page!
- Opioid-involved Emergency Department Visits in the National Hospital Care Survey and the National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey pdf icon[PDF – 403 KB] (12/2020)
- Enhancing the Identification of Opioids in the National Hospital Care Survey pdf icon[PDF – 189 KB] (11/2020)
- 2016 NHCS Data with Enhanced Opioid-Identification Linked to the 2016-2017 National Death Index (NDI) Linked to the 2016-2017 Drug-Involved Mortality (DIM) Data pdf icon[PDF – 710 KB]
- 2014 NHCS Data Linked to the 2014-2015 National Death Index (NDI) Linked to the 2014-2015 Drug-Involved Mortality (DIM) Data pdf icon[PDF – 222 KB]
- A Demonstration of the National Hospital Care Survey’s Annual Hospital Report Portal (beta) pdf icon[PDF – 535 KB]
- 2016 NHCS data linked to 2016-2017 CMS Medicare MBSF, Claims/Encounters, and Assessment data
National Health Care Surveys Registry
The National Health Care Surveys (including NAMCS, NHAMCS, and NHCS) are working with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Electronic Health Record Incentive Programs: Promoting Interoperability (PI) (formerly known as Meaningful Use (MU) and the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS). Click here to find out more.