National Hospital Care Survey
The National Hospital Care Survey (NHCS) is designed to provide accurate and reliable health care statistics that answer key questions of interest to health care and public health professionals, researchers, and health care policy makers. This includes tracking the latest trends affecting hospitals and health care organizations and factors that influence the use of health care resources, the quality of health care, and disparities in health care services provided to population subgroups in the United States.
NHCS collects data on patient care in hospital-based settings to describe patterns of health care delivery and utilization in the United States. Settings include inpatient, emergency (EDs), and outpatient departments (OPDs). The survey will provide hospital utilization statistics for the Nation. In addition, NHCS will also be able to monitor national trends in substance use-related ED visits including opioid visits. Researchers can link these survey data to outside data sources such as the National Death Index (NDI) to obtain a more complete picture of patient care.
Check out the NHCS Overview Flyer [PDF – 177 KB].
Has your hospital been selected to take part in the National Hospital Care Survey? Check out our How to Participate in NHCS page!
- Identifying Co-occurring Disorders Among Patients With an Opioid – involved Hospital Encounter Using National Hospital Care Survey Data [PDF – 1 MB] (9/12/2022)
- National Hospital Care Survey Demonstration Projects: Characteristics and Mortality Outcomes of Opioid-Involved Hospital Encounters With Co-Occurring Disorders [PDF – 478 KB] (7/25/2022)
- National Hospital Care Survey Demonstration Projects: Examination of Inpatient Hospitalization and Risk of Mortality Among Patients Diagnosed With Pneumonia [PDF – 650 KB] (1/2022)
- National Hospital Care Survey Demonstration Projects: Severe Maternal Morbidity in Inpatient and Emergency Departments [PDF – 299 KB] (10/2021)
- Enhancing Identification of Opioid-involved Health Outcomes Using National Hospital Care Survey Data [PDF – 972 KB] (10/2021)
- Updated Confidentiality Letter [PDF – 66 KB] (5/2021)
- COVID-19 Data from Selected Hospitals in the National Hospital Care Survey [PDF – 265 KB] (3/2021)
- New Hospital COVID-19 Dashboard (3/2021)
National Health Care Surveys Registry
The National Health Care Surveys (including NAMCS, NHAMCS, and NHCS) are working with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Electronic Health Record Incentive Programs: Promoting Interoperability (PI) (formerly known as Meaningful Use (MU) and the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS). Click here to find out more.