National Hospital Care Survey
The National Hospital Care Survey (NHCS) is designed to provide accurate and reliable health care statistics that answer key questions of interest to health care and public health professionals, researchers, and health care policy makers. This includes tracking the latest trends affecting hospitals and health care organizations and factors that influence the use of health care resources, the quality of health care, and disparities in health care services provided to population subgroups in the United States.
NHCS collects data on patient care in hospital-based settings to describe patterns of health care delivery and utilization in the United States. Settings include inpatient, emergency (EDs), and outpatient departments (OPDs). The survey will provide hospital utilization statistics for the Nation. In addition, NHCS will also be able to monitor national trends in substance use-related ED visits including opioid visits. Researchers can link these survey data to outside data sources such as the National Death Index to obtain a more complete picture of patient care.
Data from the 2014 NHCS have been successfully linked to the NDI and are now available to researchers through the Research Data Center.
Check out the NHCS Overview Flyer pdf icon[PDF – 273 KB].
Has your hospital been selected to take part in the National Hospital Care Survey? Check out our How to Participate in NHCS page!
- Insurance and Maternal Health in the National Hospital Care Survey, 2016 pdf icon[PDF – 587 KB] (5/2020)
- Modernizing the Monitoring of the Nation’s Health Care by Linking Electronic Health Records to Death Record Information and Administrative Data pdf icon[PDF – 782 KB] (5/2020)
- Mortality for Women Within One Year After Delivery in the National Hospital Care Survey, 2016 pdf icon[PDF – 733 KB] (5/2020)
- Successfully Completing a National Center for Health Statistics Research Data Center Request for National Hospital Care Survey Data pdf icon[PDF – 817 KB] (5/2020)
- The Annual Hospital Report Portal Beta Version is now LIVE! (4/2020)
- Demonstration Projects of the National Hospital Care Survey: Inpatient Hospitalizations for Stroke pdf icon[PDF – 490 KB] (2/2020)
National Health Care Surveys Registry
The National Health Care Surveys (including NAMCS, NHAMCS, and NHCS) are working with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Electronic Health Record Incentive Programs: Promoting Interoperability (PI) (formerly known as Meaningful Use (MU) and the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS). Click here to find out more.