Why Participate in NHCS?
Your Hospital is Important to Us!
In order for policy makers to form solid, evidence-based decisions about health care in the U.S. it is essential that we collect nationally representative data on hospital utilization. Each hospital selected for the National Hospital Care Survey (NHCS) uniquely represents facilities of similar size, service type, and geographic location. Without your help, it may be impossible to make estimates about the amount and types of care provided for patients in hospitals like yours. Click here for the introductory letter from the NCHS Director.
What’s In It for You?
- Better Health Care Data
- The NHCS has the potential to capture the continuum of patient health care both across and beyond hospital settings. By linking visits across inpatient and outpatient settings as well as with external data sources such as the National Death Index, NHCS can provide better information about resource utilization and post-discharge mortality. Your hospital’s participation is critical to this data collection effort!
- Make a Difference
- Your hospital will be part of a health care research effort that will lay the groundwork for analysis of health care cost, utilization, and integration of services across a broad spectrum of settings. The important data your hospital provides will inform policies to improve the state of health care in the nation.
- Meaningful Data for Your Hospital
- Your hospital data will be collected, analyzed and shared with you! Selected summaries of your inpatient discharges and ambulatory visits data showing health care utilization statistics such as patient demographics, diagnoses/procedures, and length of stay will be provided. Your participation is not only useful to the nation; it will be useful to you!
- Additional Benefits
- In addition to the summary data provided, your hospital will be compensated for set up and for each year of participation. Health information professionals at your hospital have the opportunity to receive continuing education credits. We are here to help! Our survey staff is available to provide technical assistance to facilitate setting up data transmission mechanisms and schedules, as well as to furnish ongoing support.
Who has endorsed NHCS?
Several national hospital associations and other professionals have endorsed us. Check out what they said below:
- Page last reviewed: January 31, 2017
- Page last updated: January 31, 2017
- Content source: