National Death Index
Containing over 100 million death records, the National Death Index (NDI) can help you find out who in your study has died by linking your own research datasets to death certificate information for your study subjects.
- NDI matches your study subjects to U.S. death records
- NDI provides the date and causes of death for your true matches
- You can use the results to calculate life expectancies and adverse risks from specific causes of death
- The National Death Index Final File for 2021 is now available for searching.
- The National Death Index Early Release File for 2022 is now available for searching.
See completion percentages by state
- The Early Release File is now updated quarterly.
- The current searchable version will always be the most recent version.