NCHS is responding to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) with new resources to help monitor and report deaths. Please visit our COVID-19 Death Data and Reporting Guidance page to stay up to date on the latest information.
National-level mortality data help track the characteristics of those who have died, monitor and make decisions about public health challenges, determine life expectancy, and compare death trends with other countries. Learn more
1 Statistically significant increase from 2020 to 2021 (p < 0.05).
2 Statistically significant decrease from 2020 to 2021 (p < 0.05).
NOTES: A total of 3,464,231 resident deaths were registered in the United States in 2021. The 10 leading causes of death accounted for 74.5% of all U.S. deaths in 2021. Causes of death are ranked according to number of deaths. Rankings for 2020 data are not shown. Data table for Figure 4 includes the number of deaths for leading causes and the percentage of total deaths. Access data table for Figure 4.
SOURCE: National Center for Health Statistics, National Vital Statistics System, Mortality.
- Deaths: Final Data for 2020 [PDF – 2, 221 KB] (9/25/2023)
- Drug Overdose Mortality by Usual Occupation and Industry: 46 U.S. States and New York City, 2020 (8/22/2023)
- Co-involvement of Opioids in Drug Overdose Deaths Involving Cocaine and Psychostimulants, 2011–2021 (7/19/2023)
- Suicide and Homicide Death Rates Among Youth and Young Adults Aged 10–24: United States, 2001–2021 (6/15/2023)
- Autopsies in the United States in 2020 [PDF – 431 KB] (5/24/2023)
- Estimates of Drug Overdose Deaths Involving Fentanyl, Methamphetamine, Cocaine, Heroin, and Oxycodone: United States, 2021 [PDF – 690 KB] (5/3/2023)
- Suicide Mortality in the United States, 2001–2021 (4/13/2024)
- Guidance for Certifying Deaths Due to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) [PDF – 403 KB] (2/27/2023)
- Infant Mortality Among Non-Hispanic Asian Subgroups in the United States, 2018–2020 (1/13/2023)
- Fetal Mortality in the United States: Final 2019–2020 and 2020–Provisional 2021 [PDF – 1,418 KB] (1/12/2023)
See our projects to modernize the National Vital Statistics System
Trainings, Tools, and Guidance
Detailed instruction to help with completion of vital records
Medical Examiners and Coroners
Resources, guidelines, and links to professional associations