NCHS is responding to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) with new resources to help monitor and report deaths. Please visit our COVID-19 Death Data and Reporting Guidance page to stay up to date on the latest information.
National-level mortality data help track the characteristics of those who have died, monitor and make decisions about public health challenges, determine life expectancy, and compare death trends with other countries. Learn more
*COVID-19 became an official cause of death in 2020; rates for 2019 are not applicable.
1Statistically significant increase in age-adjusted death rate from 2019 to 2020 (p < 0.05).
2Statistically significant decrease in age-adjusted death rate from 2019 to 2020 (p < 0.05).
NOTES: A total of 3,383,729 resident deaths were registered in the United States in 2020. The 10 leading causes of death accounted for 74.1% of all deaths in the United States in 2020. Causes of death are ranked according to number of deaths. Rankings for 2019 data are not shown. Data table for Figure 4 includes the number of deaths for leading causes and the percentage of total deaths. Access data table for Figure 4pdf icon.
SOURCE: National Center for Health Statistics, National Vital Statistics System, Mortality.
- Provisional Numbers and Rates of Suicide by Month and Demographic Characteristics: United States, 2021 [PDF – 419 KB] (9/30/2022)
- Infant Mortality in the United States, 2020: Data From the Period Linked Birth/Infant Death File [PDF -] (9/29/2022)
- Provisional Life Expectancy Estimates for 2021 [PDF – 1 MB]
Supplemental Tables [PDF – 1 MB] (8/31/2022)
- U.S. State Life Tables, 2020 (8/22/2022)
- United States Life Tables, 2020 [PDF – 3 MB] (8/8/2022)
- Fetal Mortality: United States, 2020 [PDF – 804 KB] (8/4/2022)
- Urban–Rural Differences in Drug Overdose Death Rates, 2020 (7/21/2022)
- United States Life Tables, 2019 [PDF – 1 MB] (3/22/2022)
- A Reference Guide for Certification of Deaths Associated With Pregnancy on Death Certificates [PDF – 4 MB] (3/21/2022)
- Suicide Mortality in the United States, 2000–2020 (3/3/2022)
- Maternal Mortality Rates in the United States, 2020 (2/23/2022)
- U.S. State Life Tables, 2019 [PDF – 829 KB] (2/10/2022)
See our projects to modernize the National Vital Statistics System
Trainings, Tools, and Guidance
Detailed instruction to help with completion of vital records
Medical Examiners and Coroners
Resources, guidelines, and links to professional associations