Modernizing the National Vital Statistics System
America relies on the National Vital Statistics System (NVSS) to provide timely, high-quality data on births and deaths. We are reinventing the NVSS to make vital information more available for action.
When we have accurate data fast enough, we can recognize and track developing health threats – from preterm births to deaths from drug overdoses, flu, and COVID-19.
Innovation at Work
Our new Vital Statistics Modernization Community of Practice is transforming natality and mortality data across the nation.
This virtual learning and innovation forum that welcomes all jurisdictions and partners interested in modernizing vital records – at any level of experience – to promote interoperability for faster, higher quality data.
Why Modernization Matters
What modernization means to public health
Improving data timeliness and quality
Where We Began
How we set the foundation for today’s work
Charting a Different Course for Death Data
To Make Death Data Faster, Just Listen
Interoperability Begins with People
- e-Vitals Standards Initiatives
- Modernization Presentations
- Issue Briefs:
- Modernizing the National Vital Statistics System Project, Vol 1, Issue 4 pdf icon
- The U.S. National Vital Statistics System: Transitioning Into the 21st Century, 1990–2017pdf icon
- National Committee on Vital and Health Statistics Testimony / Call to Actionexternal icon