Ambulatory Health Care Data
The National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NAMCS) is designed to meet the need for objective, reliable information about the provision and use of ambulatory medical care services in the United States. Findings are based on a sample of visits to nonfederally employed office-based physicians who are primarily engaged in direct patient care and, starting in 2006, a separate sample of visits to community health centers.
The National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NHAMCS) is designed to collect data on the utilization and provision of ambulatory care services in hospital emergency and outpatient departments and ambulatory surgery locations. Findings are based on a national sample of visits to the emergency departments, outpatient departments, and ambulatory surgery locations of noninstitutional general and short-stay hospitals.
The National Health Care Surveys (including NAMCS, NHAMCS, and NHCS) are working with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Electronic Health Record Incentive Programs: Promoting Interoperability (PI) (formerly known as Meaningful Use (MU)) and the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS). Click here to find out more.
- 2017 NHAMCS Emergency Department Public Use Data File (11/2019)
- Diagnosis Master Category List, 2016 pdf icon[PDF – 444 KB] (7/2019)
- 2016 NAMCS Summary Tables pdf icon[PDF – 793 KB] (5/2019)
- An updated 2014 NAMCS Public Use Data File is now available which corrects problems found in the ‘new’ or ‘continued’ status of reported medications (4/2019)
- 2016 NHAMCS – Emergency Department Summary Tables pdf icon[PDF – 739 KB] (3/2019)
- Emergency Department Visits for Injuries Sustained During Sports and Recreational Activities by Patients Aged 5–24 Years, 2010–2016 pdf icon[PDF – 961 KB] (11/2019)
- National Hospital Care Survey Demonstration Projects: Stroke Inpatient Hospitalizations pdf icon[PDF – 919 KB] (11/2019)
- Characteristics of Asthma Visits to Physician Offices in the United States: 2012–2015 National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey pdf icon[PDF – 877 KB] (9/2019)
- Opioids Prescribed at Discharge or Given During Emergency Department Visits Among Adults in the United States, 2016 (5/2019)
- Characteristics of Office-based Physician Visits, 2016 (1/2019)
- National Hospital Care Survey Demonstration Projects: Characteristics of Inpatient and Emergency Department Encounters Among Patients With Any Listed Diagnosis of Alzheimer Disease pdf icon[PDF – 458 KB] (12/2018)