Ambulatory Health Care Data
The National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NAMCS) is designed to meet the need for objective, reliable information about the provision and use of ambulatory medical care services in the United States. Findings are based on a sample of visits to nonfederally employed office-based physicians who are primarily engaged in direct patient care and, starting in 2006, a separate sample of visits to community health centers.
The National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NHAMCS) is designed to collect data on the utilization and provision of ambulatory care services in hospital emergency and outpatient departments and ambulatory surgery locations. Findings are based on a national sample of visits to the emergency departments, outpatient departments, and ambulatory surgery locations of noninstitutional general and short-stay hospitals.
The National Health Care Surveys (including NAMCS, NHAMCS, and NHCS) are working with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Electronic Health Record Incentive Programs: Promoting Interoperability (PI) (formerly known as Meaningful Use (MU)) and the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS). Click here to find out more.
- Pre-made SPSS datasets and readme files for 2002-2014 NHAMCS Public Use Data Files (3/2019)
- Pre-made SPSS datasets and readme files for 2002-2014 NAMCS Public Use Data Files (2/2019)
- An updated 2016 NHAMCS Emergency Department public use data has been released (1/2019)
- 2016 NAMCS public use data file (1/2019)
- 2013 NAMCS Community Health Center public use data file (12/2018)
- 2013 NAMCS Community Health Centers Summary Tables (12/2018)
- Characteristics of Office-based Physician Visits, 2016 (1/2019)
- National Hospital Care Survey Demonstration Projects: Characteristics of Inpatient and Emergency Department Encounters Among Patients With Any Listed Diagnosis of Alzheimer Disease Cdc-pdf[PDF – 458 KB] (12/2018)
- Evaluation of Transition From ICD–9–CM to ICD–10–CM Diagnosis Coding System in the National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey Cdc-pdf[PDF – 449 KB] (11/2018)
- National Hospital Care Survey Demonstration Projects: Pneumonia Inpatient Hospitalizations and Emergency Department Visits Cdc-pdf[PDF – 380 KB] (8/2018)
- Patient Health Information Shared Electronically by Office-based Physicians: United States, 2015 Cdc-pdf[PDF – 377 KB] (8/2018)
- Identification of Substance-involved Emergency Department Visits Using Data From the National Hospital Care Survey Cdc-pdf[PDF – 418 KB] (8/2018)