National Survey of Residential Care Facilities
NOTE: This website provides information on the National Survey of Residential Care Facilities (NSRCF), which was last fielded by NCHS in 2010. In 2012, NCHS initiated the National Study of Long-Term Care Providers (NSLTCP)—a biennial study of adult day services centers, residential care communities, nursing homes, home health agencies, and hospice agencies. NSLTCP collects survey data on residential care communities. Please visit the NSLTCP website for more information.
In 2010, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) conducted a new study of residential care communities. The National Survey of Residential Care Facilities (NSRCF) is a first ever survey of residential care providers.
Included are residential care facilities; assisted living residences; board and care homes; congregate care; enriched housing programs; homes for the aged; personal care homes; and shared housing establishments that are licensed, registered, listed, certified, or otherwise regulated by a state. NSRCF is designed to produce national estimates of these places and their residents.
- 2010 NSRCF Facility and Resident Revisions PDF - 19 KB]
- NSRCF Public-Use Data Files and Publications Release Announcement [PDF - 248 KB]
- National data collection was completed in November 2010. Approximately 2,300 facilities participated in the national survey.
- For more information and announcements:
- Sign up for the Long-Term Care Listserv
- Leave a message at 301-458-4747
- New Release: 2010 National Survey of Residential Care Facilities – Public Use Files and Survey Documentation now available on the web.
- New Release: Lists of restricted variables for 2010 National Survey of Residential Care Facilities now available on the web
- Residential Care Communities and Their Residents in 2010: A National Portrait [PDF - 1 MB]
- Variation in Residential Care Community Resident Characteristics, by Size of Community: United States, 2014 (11/2015)
- Variation in Operating Characteristics of Residential Care Communities, by Size of Community: United States, 2014 (11/2015)
- Dementia Special Care Units in Residential Care Communities: United States, 2010 (11/2013)
- Use of Electronic Health Records in Residential Care Communities (9/2013)
- Residents Living in Residential Care Facilities: United States, 2010 (4/2012)
- Residential Care Facilities: A Key Sector in the Spectrum of Long-Term Care Providers in the United States: 2010 (12/2011)
- Design and Operation of the 2010 National Survey of Residential Care Facilities [PDF - 2.1 MB] (11/2011)
- Page last reviewed: November 6, 2015
- Page last updated: April 24, 2015
- Content source: