Download this Activity
Activity Component Lesson Plan [PDF - 191 KB]
Students take a quick oral quiz on television, advertising, and body image. Then they use an "Ad Decoder" (critical questions) to examine advertisements that are aimed at them. They also discuss how messages about body image can affect health.
- Describe advertising techniques
- Analyze and interpret advertising aimed at them
- Describe/show how media can shape perceptions of how both boys and girls should look, and how this can affect both mental and physical health
This activity fulfills science and health education standards [PDF - 191 KB].
BAM! Body and Mind Resources:
Ad Decoder — Allows students to decipher messages hidden behind ads they see every day.
- Page last reviewed: May 9, 2015
- Page last updated: May 9, 2015
- Content source: