People With Mental Health Conditions
Smoking is much more common among adults with mental health conditions than in the general population.
- More than 1 in 4 adults with a mental health condition smokes cigarettes (28%).
- During 2009-2011, at least 3 out of every 10 cigarettes smoked by adults in the United States are smoked by persons with mental health conditions.
- Smoking-related diseases such as cardiovascular disease, lung disease, and cancer are among the most common causes of death among adults with mental health conditions.
Learn about smoking in specific populations and the current rates of cigarette smoking in the United States.
Meet Rebecca. Rebecca, age 57, an avid runner, lives in Florida. She is a single mom and grandparent who was diagnosed with depression at age 33. Rebecca quit smoking at age 52.
Learn more about all Tips® participants in our Real Stories section.
People with mental health conditions, like depression, face challenges in quitting smoking and may benefit from extra help to succeed. With the right support, you can quit smoking without worsening your mental health condition. In fact, studies show that quitting smoking can be good for your mental health.
Quit-smoking treatments may be free or reduced in price through insurance, health plans, or clinics. State Medicaid programs cover quit-smoking treatments. While the coverage varies by state, all states cover some treatments for at least some Medicaid enrollees.
Medicare currently covers two quit attempts per year and up to four face-to-face counseling sessions per attempt.
Rebecca, age 57, struggled with depression and had a few wake-up calls as a smoker. She felt depressed and smoked cigarettes to help her cope with her feelings. The more Rebecca smoked, the harder it seemed to quit. Rebecca finally quit smoking after getting care for her depression and realizing that she had to take care of her own health. She now leads a new, smokefree life.
“I quit smoking and I got care for my depression.”
- Page last reviewed: March 23, 2018
- Page last updated: April 23, 2018
- Content source: