STD Prevention Courses
A replacement course for CDC's Passport to Partner Services is in development. The replacement course, Principles, Practices, and Pathways to Disease Intervention (3PDI), is anticipated to be available spring 2022.
CDC TRAIN Courses
CDC TRAINexternal icon is a free service providing access to more than 1,000 courses developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) programs, grantees, and other funded partners.
Spotlight Training Plans for Disease Intervention Skills
- DIS Fundamentals Training Plan (Course ID 4401)external icon – The training plan focuses on fundamental disease intervention skills for new Disease Intervention Specialists and/or those conducting partner services activities. The plan consists of 29 online modules.
- Disease Intervention Training Plan with Outbreak Response (Course ID 5110)external icon – This training plan includes the fundamental disease intervention skills from the DIS Fundamental Training Plan as well as additional modules specific to outbreak response.
National Network of Disease Intervention Training Centers
The National Network of Disease Intervention Training Centers has developed a National COVID-19 Virtual Skills-based Training for Case Investigation and Contact Tracingexternal icon. This virtual skills-based training program is designed to rapidly and effectively train staff to support public health systems throughout the United States as they mobilize to address COVID-19.
National Network of STD Clinical Prevention Training Centers
The National Network of STD Clinical Prevention Training Centers (PTCs)external icon is a CDC-funded group of regional centers created in partnership with health departments and universities. The PTCs are dedicated to increasing the knowledge and skills of health professionals in the areas of sexual and reproductive health. The National Network provides health professionals with a spectrum of state-of-the-art educational opportunities, including experiential learning with an emphasis on prevention.
The STD Clinical Prevention Training Center provides regional coverage areas and contact information for each PTC. View the PTC website for upcoming courses and trainingsexternal icon.
National STD Curriculum
The National STD Curriculum external iconis a free educational website from the University of Washington STD Prevention Training Center. This project is funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This online modular learning experience addresses the epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, management, and prevention of STDs. It is continuously updated and integrates the most recent STI Treatment Guidelines.
Free CME/CNE available. Free CME credit and CNE/CE contact hours are offered throughout this site. Pharmacology CE for advanced practice nurses is also available for many activities.
Revised Passport to Partner Services Course: Principles, Practices, and Pathways to Disease Intervention (3PDI)
The Disease Intervention Training Centers are developing a replacement course for CDC’s Passport to Partner Services. The replacement course, Principles, Practices, and Pathways to Disease Intervention (3PDI), is anticipated to be available spring 2022. In the interim, the DIS Fundamentals Training Plan (Course ID 4401)external icon and the Disease Intervention Training Plan with Outbreak Response (Course ID 5110)external icon are available on CDC TRAIN. These plans focus on fundamental disease intervention skills and conducting partner services activities for disease intervention specialist training.
For tailored training intended to meet specific needs of STD Programs or as part of local conferences and meetings, contact your area’s National Network of STD Clinical Prevention Training Centerexternal icon.
The below courses are no longer offered. The Disease Intervention Training Centers are developing new courses to meet the training needs for DIS and their supervisors.
- Advanced STD Intervention (ASTDI) – The course was designed to provide DIS the necessary advanced skills in STD case management/case analysis and interviewing to perform the comprehensive STD intervention required to address syphilis elimination objectives.
- Visual Case Analysis (VCA-E3) – The VCA E3 was a series of three e-learning courses presenting the fundamentals of Visual Case Analysis. An alternate course is available on CDC TRAIN: Syphilis Case Management and VCA (Course ID 1089359)external icon.
- Principles of STD Supervision (Principles) – This four-day course was designed to develop supervisory communication required to guide, facilitate, and develop employees performing disease intervention activities.
- STD Intervention for Supervisors (STDIS) – This four-day course was designed to develop supervisory technical skills in modeling, guiding, instructing, reviewing, and evaluating STD intervention activities.
- Essentials of STD Supervision I – The Essentials of STD Prevention I (formerly known as Online Supervisor Series) was a blended e-learning course designed to provide information and skills necessary to successfully develop and supervise STD partner services staff.