Disease Intervention Specialist Courses & Webinars
- CDC TRAIN Coursesexternal icon – CDC TRAIN is a free service providing access to more than 1,000 courses developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) programs, grantees, and other funded partners.
- Spotlight Training Plans for Disease Intervention Skills
- DIS Fundamentals Training Plan (Course ID 4401)external icon – The training plan focuses on fundamental disease intervention skills for new Disease Intervention Specialists and/or those conducting partner services activities. The plan consists of 29 online modules.
- Disease Intervention Training Plan with Outbreak Response (Course ID 5110)external icon – This training plan includes the fundamental disease intervention skills from the DIS Fundamental Training Plan as well as additional modules specific to outbreak response.
- COVID-19 Leadership: Best Practices for Team Leadsexternal icon – This virtual skills-based course is designed for public health leaders who manage case investigators and contact tracers supporting COVID-19 programs. The skills developed in this course are transferrable to other case investigation and contact tracing programs.
- National COVID-19 Virtual Skills-based Training for Case Investigation and Contact Tracingexternal icon – Virtual skills-based training program by the National Network of Disease Intervention Training Centers to rapidly and effectively train staff to support public health systems throughout the United States as they mobilize to address COVID-19. The training, while focused on COVID-19, includes effective case investigation and interviewing skills that are applicable to disease intervention of STDs and HIV.
- National STD Curriculumexternal icon – Free curriculum from the University of Washington STD Prevention Training Center that addresses the epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, management, and prevention of STDs.
- Webinar: From Partner Services to Field Services: The Evolving Role of Public Health Outreach to Control HIV/STDs – Matthew Golden, MD, March 13, 2014, STD Prevention Science Series, Recording available.
- An Update and Review of the Diagnosis and Management of Syphilispdf iconexternal icon – A clinical guide for diagnosing and managing syphilis developed by the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Bureau of STIs and the NYC STD Prevention Training Center. This guide is based on content from the 2015 CDC STD Treatment Guidelines. (March 2019)
- CDC COVID-19 Contact Tracing Resources – Resources for conducting contact tracing to stop the spread of COVID-19 from CDC and other organizations.
- Disease Intervention Specialist Certification Project – Final Report to CDC – Executive Summarypdf icon – Report from the Assessment Phase of an effortexternal icon to develop a high-quality, standardized approach to DIS professional development, including a job task analysispdf icon and a template functional job descriptionpdf icon for health departments to use to clearly define DIS positions.
- Expedited Partner Therapy (EPT) – The clinical practice of treating the sex partners of patients diagnosed with chlamydia or gonorrhea by providing prescriptions or medications to the patient to take to his/her partner without the health care provider first examining the partner.
- Partner Services Providers Quick Guidepdf icon – Booklet for partner services providers containing need-to-know details on case management, disease interview periods, interviewing techniques and questions, disease overviews with signs and symptoms and treatment, and field safety tips for HIV, hepatitis, STD, and TB.
- Prevention Resources – A variety of CDC resources available for HIV, Hepatitis, STD, and TB partners including recommendations and guidance, program support, training, and policy guidance.
- STD Picture Cards – Printable illustration and photo cards depicting symptoms of STDs.
- Toolkit for Technology-based Partner Services – General resource for health departments, community-based organizations, and others on how to use the internet and other technologies to trace and contact persons potentially exposed to STDs including HIV.
- VCAmon – A computer-based application designed for stand-alone plotting of syphilis cases for visual case analysis (VCA) to assist those performing syphilis partner services and case management activities to identify all opportunities for disease intervention.
Page last reviewed: September 30, 2021