Program Management & Evaluation Tools
This section provides information designed to assist STD programs manage their data collection, information systems, and surveillance efforts. It contains guidelines, tools, IT systems map, and IT user group information.
A suite of materials to assist STD programs in planning and implementing outbreak response activities.
STD Prevention Allocation Consequences Estimator – a tool created for state and local sexually transmitted disease (STD) programs to estimate the impact of changes in their budgets
A collection of six online training modules and 21 downloadable resources providing step-by-step guidance to enhance STD program evaluation capacity.
The Gap Assessment Toolkit is a resource for health departments, community-based organizations (CBOs) and others that provide STD-related services to uncover the scope and distribution of STD prevention and care services in a given area, for a defined population, or some combination of both. (May 31, 2016)
The updated toolkit serves as a general resource for health departments, community-based organizations, and others on how to use the internet and other technologies to trace and contact persons potentially exposed to STDs including HIV.
An overview of published evidence for the effectiveness of different STD control interventions to help programs identify which interventions best meet their needs. Updated February 18, 2016
A manual that provides STD programs with guidance on how to design and implement a program evaluation.
A set of guidelines developed to further STD prevention by providing a resource to assist in the design, implementation, and evaluation of STD prevention and control programs.
Resources to help STD Program staff work with patients and their sexual partners.
VCAmon is a computer-based application designed for stand-alone plotting of syphilis cases for visual case analysis (VCA) to assist those performing syphilis partner services and case management activities to identify all opportunities for disease intervention. (July 20, 2015)
Advancing Electronic Case Reporting of Sexually Transmitted Infections: Technical Guidance for Public Health Departments – A document detailing case detection logic and the core set of case report data elements for EHR-based electronic case reporting (eCR) of chlamydia and gonorrhea. (March 15, 2018)
STD Program Evaluation Tools & Trainings (STD PETT) (October 2, 2017)
Update to Public Health Reporting and National Notification for Syphilis (September 4, 2017)
Let’s Work Together to Stem the Tide of Rising Syphilis in the United States: CDC issues a call to action for communities impacted by the STD and other groups who have the power to reduce the burden of infection through research, treatment, and outreach. The document also lists how CDC will contribute to reducing syphilis burden. (April 25, 2017)
Introducing Technology into Partner Services: A Toolkit for Programs (February 17, 2016)
Webinar – The Last Resort: Electronic Health Communication in North Carolina – September 23, 2015,by Steve Beagle, Field Coordinator for the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, Recording Available
Report-Back and Update on the STD AAPPS Program Outcome Measures (POM) Webinar – June 23, 2015, View Recording
Partner Services Providers Quick Guide – Updated 2014
From Partner Services to Field Services: The Evolving Role of Public Health Outreach to Control HIV/STDs Webinar – by Matthew Golden, MD, March 13, 2014, STD Prevention Science Series, View Recording
Introduction to Awardee Evaluation Plans and National Outcome Measures for STD-AAPPS Webinar – Rescheduled: February 20th. View Recording.
Third-Party Billing for Public Health STD Services Webinar, – February 26th. View Recording.
- Increasing Access to STI Services in the Medicaid Program – A new report from the CDC Foundation, in partnership with the George Washington University (GWU) School of Public Health and CDC, examining the barriers and opportunities for enhancing access to STI services through the Medicaid program. Learn more in Public Health Reports and CDC Foundation’s blog.
- SASSI – Self-directed and STD-focused SAS Instruction
- Data Security and Confidentiality Guidelines – For HIV, Viral Hepatitis, Sexually Transmitted Disease, and Tuberculosis Programs
- Prevention of HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STDs, and TB Through Health Care: Supporting Health Departments—Next Steps – A brief proposal for “next steps” to help state and local health departments navigate anticipated changes in the nation’s health care system
- Integrated Prevention Services for HIV Infection, Viral Hepatitis, Sexually Transmitted Diseases, and Tuberculosis for Persons Who Use Drugs Illicitly: Summary Guidance from CDC and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- STD Program Adaptation and Partner Engagement Resource Kit – From National Association of County & City Health Officials (NACCHO)
- Framework for Program Evaluation – A practical, non-prescriptive tool, the evaluation framework summarizes and organizes the steps and standards for effective program evaluation.