About the Division of STD Prevention
The mission of the Division of STD Prevention (DSTDP) at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is to provide national leadership, research, policy development, and scientific information to help people live safer, healthier lives by the prevention of STDs and their complications. This mission is accomplished by assisting health departments, healthcare providers and non-government organizations (NGO) through the provision of timely science-based information and by clearly interpreting such information to the general public and policy makers. The Division’s specific disease prevention goals are contextualized within the broader framework of the social determinants of health, the promotion of sexual health, and the primary prevention of sexually transmitted disease.
Learn about CDC’s Division of STD Prevention and the specific ways we’re working to prevent STDs and promote sexual health.
For printing, you might prefer this higher resolution versionpdf icon.
Strategic Summary – An overview of the values, vision, and priority areas addressed by the Division of STD Prevention’s Strategic Plan 2017-2022 (2017)
- Dear Colleague Letter: 2020 STD Prevention Conference Closing and Thank You from Dr. Gail Bolan, MD, Division of STD Prevention Directorpdf icon (September 25, 2020)
- Dear Colleague Letter: 2020 STD Prevention Conference Day One Recap from Gail Bolan, MD, Division of STD Prevention Directorpdf icon (September 15, 2020)
- Dear Colleague Letter: Shortage of STI Diagnotic Test Kits and Laboratory Suppliespdf icon (September 8, 2020)
- Dear Colleague Letter: Updated: Toolkit for Technology-based STD and HIV Partner Servicespdf icon (June 19, 2020)
- Dear Colleague Letter: STD Care and Prevention Guidance During Disruption of Clinical Services: Providing effective care and prevention when facility-based services and in-person patient-clinician contact is limitedpdf icon (April 6, 2020)
- Infographic: STDs compromise Americans’ health and cost millions of dollars in healthcarepdf icon (January 2, 2020)
- Dear Colleague Letter: Gail Bolan, MD, Division of STD Prevention Director, on concerning increase of drug use among heterosexuals with syphilis and the importance of cross-program collaboration within health departmentspdf icon (February 14, 2019)
- Dear Colleague Letter: Dr. Gail Bolan, Division of STD Prevention Director, on CDC’s new five-year cooperative agreement—Strengthening STD Prevention and Control for Health Departments (STD PCHD)pdf icon (January 7, 2019)
- Latest STD Data from CDCpdf icon
CDC’s Division of STD Prevention concentrates its efforts on four focus areas to guide STD prevention and maximize long term impact.
- Adolescents and Young Adults
- Men Who Have Sex with Men (MSM)
- Pregnant Women
- STD Prevention Systems
DSTDP Organization Chart pdf icon[PDF – 162 KB] (Updated December 7, 2016)
DSTDP is a Division in the National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention (NCHHSTP).