Tomando Control de su Salud
About the program: Tomando Control de su Salud is a self-management workshop designed for Spanish-speaking adults with one or more chronic conditions. Based on the English program, the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program, all workshops are conducted in Spanish and feature culturally appropriate activities and subject matter.
This interactive program aims to increase:
- Physical and psychological well-being.
- Knowledge of ways to manage chronic conditions.
- Motivation to manage challenges associated with chronic diseases.
- Spanish-speaking adults with arthritis.
- Spanish-speaking adults with other chronic conditions.
- Spanish-speaking older adults.
- Interactive educational activities like discussion, brainstorming, practice of action-planning and feedback, behavior modeling, problem-solving techniques and decision-making.
- Participants learn symptom management techniques like exercise, relaxation, communication, healthy eating, managing medication, and managing fatigue.
Setting: In-person workshop.
Suggested class size: Between 10 and 16 participants.
Duration: Participants meet for two to two and a half hours each week for six weeks.
- Participant costs: Varies, but rarely more than $50.
- Leader/ Host Costs:
- License costs for the host organization for between $500 and $12,000 depending on the organization’s needs. Learn more about license costsexternal icon.
- Leader training at between $200 and $400 per leader training.
- Two trained Spanish-speaking leaders. These leaders can be either one peer leader and one health professional or two peer leaders. At least one leader should have a chronic condition.
- Leaders must be trained by the Self-Management Resource Center either in the San Francisco Bay Area or locally by a certified master trainer. Each training is four and a half days and taught in Spanish.
- A license purchased from the Self-Management Resource Centerexternal icon renewed every three years.
- A community room that is Americans with Disabilities (ADA) accessible.
- Equipment: Flip charts, white board, markers, and a music player.