Active Living Every Day (ALED)
About the program: Active Living Every Day (ALED) is a behavior change program that offers different options to traditional exercise programs to help participants overcome their barriers to physical activity.
- Each class has a short lecture and group discussion to help participants set goals, decrease barriers to exercise, and find an activity that they enjoy.
- Participants choose their own activity to create an exercise plan based on their lifestyle and preferences.
- Participants work to learn lifestyle management skills and build lasting behavioral change.
- Note: No physical activity takes place during the class; participants exercise independently or outside of the class depending on their individual goals.
ALED aims to help participants:
- Increase physical activity.
- Decrease stiffness.
- Improve blood pressure.
- Adults with arthritis and other chronic conditions.
- Any adult who is interested in increasing their physical activity level.
- Sedentary adults.
- Older adults.
- Short lecture on goal setting, overcoming barriers, and finding physical activities that participants enjoy.
- Group discussion.
- Create plan for physical activity based on lifestyle and personal preferences.
- All physical activity happens outside of class.
- There are optional online tools that participants may use.
Setting: Community/ Group-based workshop.
Suggested class size: No more than 20 participants.
Duration: Classes meet for one hour a week for 12 to 20 weeks.
- Participant costs: Participants can purchase the book with online resourcesexternal icon for $41.95; bulk discounts are available.
- Leader/ Host Costs:
- Licensing at no cost to the host site.
- Training costs $373 per leader. Find information on training and supportexternal icon.
- Other materials and fees as needed.
- One leader per class. The leader must be a strong teacher and be comfortable leading groups.
- No educational or fitness certification is required, but leaders must complete an online course and either an online or in-person training from Active Living Partners.
- A license from Active Living Partners. Active Living Partners provides the license for no fee.
- A classroom with seating for all participants.
- Equipment: A textbook for each participant, LCD projector, computer, flip chart, markers, pens, sign-in sheets, additional materials for activities as needed. Computer and internet access for supplemental tools is optional.
Learn more about ALED: